ATI 9800 pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI 9800 pro

I'm building another P.C. and video games are the main thing that this system will be for. I've got to have the best video card and have decided to go with an ATI 9800 pro, but I've heard rumurs of the ATI 9900 pro coming out soon. I want to get the whole system done within the next month but if the 9900 pro is going to be alot better I might take my time. Maybe the new Nivida 5900 is the way to go. What should I do?

Originally posted by segageo64
    I'm building another P.C. and video games are the main thing that this system will be for. I've got to have the best video card and have decided to go with an ATI 9800 pro, but I've heard rumurs of the ATI 9900 pro coming out soon. I want to get the whole system done within the next month but if the 9900 pro is going to be alot better I might take my time. Maybe the new Nivida 5900 is the way to go. What should I do?
    Well the 9800 pro isn't a bad card at all, fast as hell. However most reviews and tests shows that the 5900 pro is faster in all the benchmark tests.. That's why I'm waiting the extra weeks for it to be available here in Sweden.

Comment

1. The Radeon 9900 Pro won't be out until August/September.
      2. Don't write off the Geforce FX 5900 until you see it working with the correct Detonator drivers.

Comment

My advice, get the 9800 Pro, the card is structurally alot more sound than the 5900 cards, the 8x1 Pipelines is better than nvidia's 4x2 archietecture. The pixel shaders on the fx series suck ass, providing around half as much performance as the 9500-9800 series. And with future games on the outlook making extensive use of pixel shaders its a better choice. The image quality is still better on ATi side, especially AA. Nvidia has alot of raw speed with their high clock cores and memory, but nothing more than that really. Plus nvidia drivers of late have been a scam with their "optimizations". Nvidia should work less on their marketing ploys and use the money to make better cards.

:bounce:

Comment

IMHO, either way you go, you'll have one hell of a fast card !!!
          And like weta said, "Don't write off the Geforce FX 5900 until you see it working with the correct Detonator drivers."
          SPAM Special Ops

Comment

Originally posted by segageo64
            What should I do?
            The question of the ages! :D

Ask such a broad question and you will get a broad answer full of subjective opinions and advice. Read some reviews on all the options and make you decision. Either card is top of the line. The 9800Pro has been out for a while and is a proven design. The 5900FX was released today.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny83
              The pixel shaders on the fx series suck ass, providing around half as much performance as the 9500-9800 series.
              ehh on the 5800 maybe.. Have a look at this man.. :devil win

Comment

yer all well and good, but did ATI have the drivers for the 256 mb card on this benchmark or the 128mb.last benchmark i sore at toms hardware,( i think) they had to use the 128mb coz the 256mb card drivers were not out so not right off ATI just yet would be nice to see nvidia fx get one back: omg: : omg:

Comment

The tests were run with the new drivers for both cards, so that the 9800 PRO were able to use all the memory and everything was a fair fight.

However 128 or 256 mb does not make mutch of a difference in those benchmark tests used today. This is mentioned in most of the reviews I've read.. But I'm happy that the 256 mb cards are on their way, anything to make the card last longer is good..

Comment

As you posted that last reply The__tweaker my new 9800 pro 256 has just turn up :D :D so am happy now:thumb:
                    to go with my new

VapoChill PE (Intel Model)
                    P4 3.0 gig 800 fsb
                    (2x 512Mb DDR RAM PC3500 Golden Dragon GeIL)
                    2x raptors wd 10000 rpm

hoping its going to be quicker than my one in sig :shrug: :shrug:

Comment

markuk: What's your impression of GeIL's PC3500 Golden Dragon memory? (segageo64: Sorry to go off topic)

Comment

let you know soon still waiting for it,:o :o but read a lot of good things about it :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                        X