radeon 9500 overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radeon 9500 overclocking

i would like to overclock my radeon 9500 pro to a radeon 9700, its a sapphrine radeon 9500 pro. would i need better cooling than what it comes with normally? normal inside case temps are at 38-42C(even at load), and i heard that you need some programs like powerstrip or other things like to tweak the bios, wouldn't mind some links on those.

Radeon 9500 Pro's don't do it, only the Radeon 9500's there is a reason for this, but if you do your research even within this forum you will find many topics explaining why.

Comment

....and i heard that you need some programs like powerstrip or other things like to tweak the bios, wouldn't mind some links on those.
      click here for powerstrip

click here for Radeonator

By the way....I got you these links by clicking on the "Search" button at the top of my we browser and entering the word "powerstrip" into the box, then clicking on the first link that was displayed. Did the same thing for "radeonator." It's a handy feature of all web browsers that works well. :D ;)

Good luck!

Comment

You can OC your 9500 Pro but it is risky as if done wrong or a failed flash of the bios can course corruption and kill your gpu and your warranty will be void and not cover it. Plus if you have the 9500 pro with the memory in a straight line you cant put heatsinks on the first one in the line due to the power connector being in the way. Go HERE for some explanation and links to a walkthrough.

I have done this with success and im now enjoying some power play for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER
          ..You can OC your 9500 Pro but it is risky as if done wrong or a failed flash of the bios can course corruption and kill your gpu and your warranty will be void and not cover it. ..
          ^ :rolleyes: ^
          havent heard of a gpu being killed by failed bios flash.. but i guess the wrong bios might.

i believe powerstrip is capable of making the 9500pro OC-able, instead of flashing.

Comment

thats what i was looking for, thx. any other kind of recommendations for cooling? that would handle it.

Comment

I'm wondering....if you back off an overclocked ATi card down to factory specs....can ATi later tell if the card had ever been overclocked?

Comment

Not sure about ATI being able to tell if you OC your GPU.
                But you do need to FLASH your bios to OC a 9500 pro as the bios is locked with a 1 digit line of code that makes it different from the 9700 and the 9200 which can be OC straight away. so if your up to being scared out of your mind while trying to flash then go for it OC that board.

My 9500 pro is OC and I have no additional cooling on the board but I do have an extra fan at board level blowing cooled air in from my a clean air filter and the other fan is blowing the air out so I have circular air flow through my system keeping temp below room temp and I have no problems with over heating as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MAUSER
                  I do have an extra fan at board level blowing cooled air in from my a clean air filter and the other fan is blowing the air out so I have circular air flow through my system keeping temp below room temp and I have no problems with over heating as yet.
                  I'm not sure what you mean by this. Unless you have an active cooling system (such as a freon system) it is physically impossible to cool your system below room temperature. Not even a water cooler can do that.

Comment

Comment

Oh OK! So you do have a freon system! cool! :D :D

Comment

i would like to overclock my radeon 9500 pro to a radeon 9700,
                        you can oc it that much and still open all 8 pipelines? on a 9500pro?

Comment

the 9500 pro comes with the 8 pipelines stock, so i think it would stay if i oc to 9700 pro or 9700.

Comment

Working...
                          X