Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP/PCI Frequency help needed

Hi All,

I have been overclocking successfully for a few months now however there is one setting I have not got my head round yet as to exactly what it does.

The AGP/PCI Frequency setting.
    At the moment its set to 66.66/33.33 but it has many possible settings.

At the moment I have a 2.53 set to 2.83 i seem to hit a bit of a wall using the 2001 3d mark at 2.8.
    multiplier 19 cpu frequency 149
    Memory frequency 397
    voltage1.6

Can anyone tell me if playing with these AGP/PCI settings will help and exactly what they do.

Ok can ya give us the full details of all the hardware that ya have in this system? :?:

Comment

The AGP/PCI Bus frequencies are 66Mhz and 33Mhz (respectively) by default. You should try to keep them at this speed, because increasing these bus frequencies provides little if any performance benefits, and creates instability and can even damage components at very high frequencies.

That's why on modern motherboards it allows you in the BIOS to keep these buses at their default (66/33Mhz) frequencies independent of the FSB.

If you have the E7205 (Granite Bay) chipset, and you've been told to take these frequencies slightly out of spec to help with the Radeon 9700 Pro compatibility problem, set them 1 or 2 settings higher than default (67/34). Otherwise always try to keep them at default settings.
      My Machine

Comment

yes thanks for that if thats the case i will leave it alone, does anybody know how high you can push the memory frequency.

p4 [email protected]
        msi 4800 se
        kingston ddr 333 512 meg
        asus black pearl mobo

Comment

That's for you to find out :)

If you have DDR333 then by definition you should be able to take it to 333Mhz at default. It can usually do higher, but the only way you'll know exactly how high is by taking it up a notch and then running loops of 3DMark2003 and Prime95 for example to see if the system's still stable.

As you increase your RAM frequencies above 333Mhz you may need to increase the DIMM voltage which gives the RAM more juice. You will also probably need to reduce the memory timings. Sometimes you need a combination of both more voltage and less aggressive timings. It all depends on the quality of the RAM, the stability of your power supply, the motherboard, temperatures etc. Hence the need to experiment on your unique setup.
          My Machine

Comment

thanks for that persian,

at the moment my memory frequency is showing 395 i have left my voltage on auto however i have the options of 2.5 upto 2.9,
            when i have run 3d mark 2001 i get instability with anything over 2.88, i can boot at 2.95 but not run the test.

My mobo temps are at 36/37c

With my DDR at this level is it adding to instability with the cpu overclock or are the two not inter related.

many thanksby the way

Comment

Yea i hav that same problem
              Changing the multiplier does basically nothing in my experience.
              but the ratio thingy. when i had it up my CPU was 872 and my AGP was high. This was good for running programs but whenever i played a game it would run like at 100 fps but it crashes and when i check cmonitor its really hot.

then i underclocked my PC and now its good becuase its very rare that my games will freeze but i get a bit less fps.

you have 3 options
              get a new Mother board
              somhow cool ur pc
              or leave it the same

Comment

Intel CPU's are internally multiplier locked and this can not be change but do check the airflow of ya cases plus lowerin' ya memory timings may help.

Comment

Working...
                X