Overclocking A 450 PIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking A 450 PIII

Ok i'm sure this has been asked before but i'm currently running a 450Mhz PIII and yes i need more speed. I have 384 Mb of Ram, but thats just not cutting the mustard. I have a 450watt Power Supply and I believe ample Cooling. What can I do to make this thing squeal for all she's worth? I'm looking particularly toward Hardware.I've already chopped un-necessary services and such.

And i have a second Question.... I need a new processor eventually, when's the next one comming out and should I wait till it does? Ne info could be well appreciated. Thanks.

I take it you are not an avid gamer as you make no mention of your vid card. What are you doing that needs more speed? A faster hd or more ram might suit your needs. Nobody can help you tweak mobo if they don't know what it is.

Comment

A significant portion of PIII450 Katmai's were able to run at 600MHz w/o any voltage tweaks - simply by increasing the FSB from 100 to 133
      ...this may or may not be possible for you depending on what MB you have

If you cheak out the powerleap website - they have slot 1 voltage regulator kits that enable would you to run tualatin PIII's and Celerons up to 1.4GHz - although before dropping any serious $$'s on an upgrade like that - you may want to consider a new system

Comment

I apologize, Here are the specs for my computer:

Motherboard is a Biostar - M6TZA
        450 Mhz PIII (the chip is located on a separate card attached to the M-Board)
        Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb Graphics Card
        SoundBlaster PCI 128
        Ethernet Card
        PCI Controller Card
        56k Modem
        384 Mb of SDRAM (PC 100 I think)
        450Watt PowerSupply
        3 Hds
        20Gig 7200 RPM Maxtor
        17Gig 5400 RPM SeaGate
        700 Mb Conner
        TDK 24x Burner
        6x DVD Drive
        100mb Zip Drive
        Dual Monitors
        19" Flat Screen KDS
        17" AOC

Thats pretty much my system.. Its 4 years old and my plan was to keep pretty much everything and purchase a M-Board/Processor combo + RAM to update my computer. I am a gamer but more importantly i'm a Graphic Designer. Thanks.

Comment

I doubt that you can kick up the fsb because of your ram. There is probably little you can do to your rig to get much more out of it without spending money. A quiick look on Pricewatch shows that you could get a 2100xp, nforce2 mobo, and 512mb Samsung ram for about $250us. This would be a quantum leap in performance for your graphic arts work.

Comment

Ok so can anyone answer my second question as whether or not to wait for the next generation of Processors?

Comment

yeah the Intel(ewwww):o :o P4 w/ 800 MHz FSB is on its way(see thread i started in Intel) in like a month. But i would wait for the AMD clawhammer coming out in september. Also, if u want to improve preformance, get a new mobo for ur PIII. I doubt (i may be wrong) that ur mobo can support AGP 4x which is what ur graphics card needs(to preform as good as it can atleast)
              <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

Without knowing his system you can't say for sure, but in all honesty, I've seen MANY slot 1 p3 boards that support AGP 4x (many being at or around half :D)

And I'd just wait for the 800mhz system bus p4's to hit the market. The reason AMD proc's are faster in some tests is because of their FSB... 166 vs 133..the Athlon's are double pumped to 333, while the p4's are quadpumped to 533, but still only have a 133mhz fsb... The clawhammer (if i recall correctly) will have a 200mhz fsb, and the new p4's will as well. Will be nice to see benchmarks between the two :) (please don't take what i said earlier as a flame... think about it, it's partly true... I just don't wanna get into the way the processor was designed to fill in the rest... gets too technical for some and would more than likely cause flame).

Comment

no, so far AMD is only talking about a Clawhammer w/ 166 FSB. I've been looking around and at 2 websites they said "it would be nice to have a 200 MHz FSB, but AMD has no plans in the near future" They may be wrong though.
                  <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

Working...
                  X