motherboard help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motherboard help!

can i overclock my 1.9 p4 cpu using a micro star international (ms 6534) motherboard??? if so would some1 plz help with some instructions or advice thanks in advance!!!

well i use an msi mobo too so i may be of some help
    i believe that p4 1.9 runs on 100mhz fsb with a multiplier of 19
    first of all check the msi site and find out about new bios that u migh wanna upgrade to, so that u can upgrade your fsb to 133 from 100, if the nobo supports it.

Mine had no ratio settings for AGP and PCI speeds using AMI Bios and if yours dont have this feature also you may damage your pci and agp components since these do not run properly after certain speeds. what you might have to do is to just upgrade the bios to a newer one supporting 133 fsb and switch the jumper on the mobo to show the bios that the cpu inserted on the mobo runs on 133 fsb instead of 100. then increase the fsb to 133 mhz on frequency voltage control menu in bios, the agp and pci speeds will be adjusted automatically this way.

btw u only have to use this method if your mobo does not support setting of manual pci and agp ratios.

beware that u need some good cooling solution as u have to increase the voltage of the cpu a little bit since it has to send stronger signals after fsb raise.

Comment

Post more of your system specs :) Eg., are you running a northwood or a willamette p4 processor? (478 pins, or 423 respectively... You can find out by downloading and running CPU-Z or WCPUID). What's the model # of your board? What type of ram are you using? (Rambus memory doesn't overclock near as well as DDR, so you may be limitted by that factor). So many variables, need more info :)

Comment

Suicide

It's 478 pin mobo with i845 chipset, using ddr ram, model # MS6534. I've never oc a newer Intel mobo so I'm not the guy to advise him.

My mistake on the ram. It IS sdr!

Comment

Comment

You have an Engineering Sample processor... Odds aren't great, but some ES's have unlocked multipliers. If this is the case, boom, up your FSB, and then play with your multiplier... But keep in mind this is a willamette core, and don't expect 500mhz+ overclocks from it. But, if your ES has an unlocked multiplier, than all the better. Adjust your multiplier either on the board or in the bios, and have some fun :)

Comment

I doubt that you'd get much of a performance benefit out of overclocking it as the CPU is already being strangled by the SDRAM that's being used plus this mobo also doubles as an OEM mobo so certain settings maybe missing from the BIOS which will allow you to overclock. You are in a little luck though having a socket478 CPU so a new mobo with DDR memory would give you a huge performance boost without having to overclock.

Comment

Oops i read all of his specs, my mistake :) I just stopped at the processor. :) But ya, what Wiggo said :)

Comment

i can not change the bios settings for my fsb and multiplyer WHAT NOW??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????? DO I NEED A NEW MOBO???have seen a ABIT BE7 mobo is it any good??? any sugestions??

Comment

Can ya give us a link to the actual Dell model that it is? (though just the model number will do but time maybe needed to find the proper specs) :?:

Comment

its not dell its MEDION

Comment

is there no software i can use to change my fsb???

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                          cocotheclown[/size]]
                          its not dell its MEDION
                          Just as bad. :(
                          [b]is there no software i can use to change my fsb???
                          Do a search for SoftFSB but you'll need to do some homework with that program before using it.

Comment

:( thanks for the help anyway

Comment

Working...
                            X