modify motherboard and or bios to support AthlonXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modify motherboard and or bios to support AthlonXP

Hi, i was wondering if its possible to modify the bios and/or my motherboard to support AMD AthlonXP+ ..
    it currently supports only, AMD Duron and AMD Athlon...

Specs:
    Motherboard: EpoX KL133M
    CPU: Amd AthlonXP 1600+
    Operating System: WinXP
    Bios Version: 06.24.02 (obtained from www.epox.com)

i do run the athlon xp in the computer only the bios states unknown cpu and it runs at 1100mhz instead of 1400 mhz as its supposed too.. i tried to O/C it too 1,4 but since its FSB O/C'ing
    it makes my gfx card stall...

looking forward for replies on this topic...
    :confused:

Yes, its called a BIOS Flash...check the manual on your EpoX Mobo and learn how to do a bios flash..you will prolly need a floppy and know how to read directions very carefully..because one slip or something goes wrong on the Flash processes...your mobo can turn useless...so be careful...

When i Flashed my bios...i went to my mobos website Download the file and read the directions on what files to save onto a floppy ...then i refered to my manual and did it step by step...It isn't very hard..as long as you do everything slowly and you are sure...

That update will prolly give you updated support on later processors...

Hope that helps ya out...good luck:thumb:
    - Damien

Comment

Can you link me to that BIOS you say you got from the EPoX site please? I checked them out and the atest I could find for your motherboard is a file labeled kl0ma24.exe and it is dated 10-24-01. If you use an incorrect BIOS revision for your board, you could very possibly ruin it.

As to hacking the BIOS to allow the use of your AthlonXP processor, I wouldn't count on it. You see, the Palomino core used in your current processor is incompatible with the AthlonXP line due to new instructions and technologies used. I'm truly surprised that you even have it running at all!

Also, the only way to get the true power of the 1600+ processor is to run the board at 133MHz front side bus speeds. This requires a chipset that actively supports this speed (yours does not, unfortunately) and also a new set of multipliers that will allow your PCI and AGP ports to run at their respective speeds. This didn't occur until the KT133A chipsets came out and wasn't really working to its potential until the KT266A chipsets hit the market.

Good luck to you, but I really wouldn't expect miracles out of your current rig.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

so there is really no way except running at 133 (wich my mobo doesnt support) ?

this makes me a bit sad ;/
        oh well, thx for your replies :D

oh and btw heres the link for the bios :D

Comment

oh and one more thing, its noe a palomino..,
          its a Thoroughbred if that makes any difference on that behalf :D

Comment

HAHAH GUESS WHAT ? :D
            i made it, well it still states unknown CPU but the mobo is now running on 133 :P i searched thru the manual couple of times and found out about this jumper too support it :D

1.2 = 100Mhz
            2.3 = 133Mhz

so now my cpu runs at full speed :D

Comment

I'm glad that it seems to be working for you; especially considering that you have flashed your motherboard with teh wrong BIOS binary code. The link you provided leads to the BIOS os the KT133M board, not the KL133M that you referred to in your initial post here. You must have the luck of the Irish is all I can say.
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

hehe, the reason for using that bios was because i mailed them about bios updates and they said it should work fine :D

but what i was more surprised of was the 133mhz jumper on the left side of the board :D

Comment

Working...
                X