o/cing a GF2 MX/MX400 w/ TV out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o/cing a GF2 MX/MX400 w/ TV out

I have Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell comp (big mistake on the Dell part, I know ), a P4 1.9ghz proc., 256mb RD 16 bit PC800 RAM, and a 64mb GF2 MX/MX400 w/ TV Out. I recently d/l and installed coolbits. When I look at the normal settings the core clock frequency is at 175mhz (slider 1/3 the way from the left) and the memory clock frequency is at 334mhz (all the way to the right). When I check the box that says "allow clock frequency adjustments" and then restart my comp, as the window suggests, I come back in and both sliders are all the way to the left. The core clock slider goes between 155mhz and 220mhz. However, the memory clock only goes between 0 and 100mhz. What happened? How do I fix it so I can get memory clock values up to 334mhz again? If I can fix it, what are so good speeds to set it at. I wanna overclock my card a little, but not to the extent of putting on a new fan or anything like that. Any advice or suggstions is much appreciated, thx. : peace2: Mista K6

please dont take this wrong bro,i want to help.
    It looks like you spent a fair amount of cash for a fairly good mass market rig why on earth would you go with such a low level video card?im praying(for your sake)your card is fried so you can upgrade without filling like you got riped off.when you buy a new one,and if you play games you will be(doom3),try going with the g4 4200(128ram is best)it over clocks nicly and gets near the scores of my 4600 as long as you dont play at above 1280x1040 pix.but if you run at 1600x1200 like me go with the 4600 or 4800.of course the ati has a very good card out now as wall.good luck bud.

Comment

I have a question about the same card more or less. I OCed mine (Detonator section, RivaTuner) to 220/306. I just finished a round of VietCong, and during the play, I seen a section on the left, about 2 inches from the side, that was alot lighter then the rest of the screen. Im wondering if this is on behalf of my OCing, or the refresh rate, which is now 60hz, but i had it at 76 a whie ago (brought it down, since I need this monitor:thumb:). So did the lttle time on higher refresh rate screw up the guns, or is it my OCing?

Mista K6, if you ever get that fixed, try out my settings. I can get them higher, but untill I figure this out, its stationary.

Comment

i dont think it could be your refresh rate.if your monitor doesnt sopport it the screen does a lot more than u stated here.i'm assuming you dont have unshielded speakers on your monitor,that can also cause screen changes.overclocking is proboly your problem.make sure you cool your rig well when clocking and go in small incrament.if you dont have a cooling system at least open your case so it can get airflow.or try a 20" floor fan for a temp fix.Itll give you a lot more airflow than you could ever need.but be careful,causes a lot of dust.dont do it long

Comment

never mind....i just read your specs,pleanty cool.guess just too far on the overclock:laugh:

Comment

Well, sirtom, the reason I went with this card is because they only had GF2's out when I bought my comp ! And this card was the only moderately priced 64mb, the other 2 (forget what they were) were twice as expensive (like $250-$300, mine was $130). It's ok tho, I'm getting a 4200 or a 4600 put in, havent decided which gives me the best bang for my buck. I just wanna boos this up a little before I get rid of it. It doesnt matter if I kill the life by o/cing it, as I'm keeping it for a max of 2 months more. (I'm also going to put in another 512 mb of RDRAM, 768 baby! :D ). Well here's the last thing then. How come when I restart my comp as coolbits directs me, and I open it up again, the memory clock slider no longer goes to 334, it only goes to 100mhz, what happened? Thx for all the info already, its much appreciated. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Scratch that last post, I went and d/l Powerstrip 3.3 :thumb: . P.S. does anyone know how to uninstall coolbits and get the default registry settings back (I dont wanna reload the entire registry), or does it not matter and I can just leave coolbits there? Anywho, under the performance tab, section, w/e :p , there are two verticle sliders. Right now they both are slightly where the green turns to yellow. The Core (engine) clock is at 175mhz and the memory clock is at 167.04mhz (specific, I know :D ). It seems to me that green would indicate a "safe" setting and to go from yellow to orange or even red would mean you are going further and further into the high heat danger zone, etc. So, what are some good settings I can put these clocks at (not anything that drastic) that would give me a few more fps but wont overheat my card or do any danger to my system. I have a stock fan and cooling system, and I dont know how much it can handle (although my fan is pretty loud... oh well). Any info or suggestions is much appreciated. I would post an image, but its a .bmp file :eek: . Thx for all the info already, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I am wondering, is the card a pci?
                Today i ran into the same problem with a customers older(18month) dell rig(she has had nothing but problems with it). My conclusion was that the coolbits doesn't work right with pci cards. It has worked good only with agp.

What a crappy setup, no agp port on a $2200 cdn computer with p4???????????

Way to go dell !!!!!!!

Bye the way, it was a gf2 mx400 64mb pci card, is yours?
                athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                asus a7n8xe-dlx
                thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                bfg 6800gt
                seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                samsung dvdrw
                2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                seagate sataII 500gb
                evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                samsung sata dvd-rw
                2x1024 ocz black
                logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

whoa, $2200, and I thought I got screwed paying $1500 :laugh: . Yah, my card is a GF2 64mb MX/MX400 (that's what the tab says). Dunno if its a pci or not. Like I said, I d/l'd powerstrip 3.3 . Seeing that you've worked on this type of comp maximus, would you happen to know some good settings for my card that would give me more juice, but wouldnt require a new fan? Like I said, the core clock is at 175mhz, and the memory clock at 167mhz. Since you've already worked on a Dell, you can see the many fans they have in there comps (cool, but noisy, lol). Anywho, if you could give me some numbers or more advice, that'd be great. Thx for the info alrteady. Peace : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

I need to know if its agp(the brown slot above the white pci slots). Here is a benchmark of one I tested for someone http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5837655
                    As u can see the highest it would go without artifacts with a heatsink only was 195/185. This card was an msi gf2 mx 32mb s-video out (agp) with stock speeds of 175/166. I told the guy not to run it at higher than 190/180 (for his own good). If u got a fan with a clean heatsink u may get better results with other speeds.
                    ***DISCLAIMER***this is a TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK thing
                    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                    asus a7n8xe-dlx
                    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                    bfg 6800gt
                    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                    samsung dvdrw
                    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                    seagate sataII 500gb
                    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                    samsung sata dvd-rw
                    2x1024 ocz black
                    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

There's no real way to tell how high any individual card will go when u OC it, just bump the clock settings up about 5 mhz at a time and run 3dmark afterwards every time. If 3dmark doesnt finish or you get lots of artifacting just clock it back down to ur last stable setting. :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                      X