The art of overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The art of overclocking

When you go and overclock a processor does it really give it the same power as ....say you have a 1 ghz duron and you over clock it to 1.4ghz is that the same power as a p4 1.4 or duron 1.4 or does it just enmurate faster? Also dosen't overclocking decrease the speed of your ram?:?:

:cheers:

No, no and no again. :D

Power demands will not only vary between models but CPU's of the same wafer as well. This is why I mention LUCK a lot because some CPU's will overclock without extra extra power required while others just won't budge no matter how ever much ya feed them, but most will be somewhere in between but exactly where no one could say till ya tried it. Overclockin' the FSB will in almost all cases overclock your memory as well by the same amount (which is why I always recommend one speed step up in memory even if it's not "Officially" supported). What you maybe gettin' confused with is when we say to "reduce ya memory timings" which is an in memory process which we slow down so that the memory can run at faster speeds (in most cases you will still get an improvement improvement in performance thought by offsettin' one against the other). :devil win
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

offsetting one against the other? explain please:?:

Comment

Offsetting reduced timings by increasing the FSB more. ;)

It will still well and truely beat a stock setup. :devil win

Comment

so by increasing the fsb you get faster cpu. cool

we'll probaly make this thread 9 pages long, but go ahead and take your time explaining this over clocking thing to me
          Cause I'd really like to learn even if all you can do is point me in the right direction of some websites.

Comment

Let's start by you readin' this one first, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...de&dId=376, followed by this one, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...de&dId=411, and then there are a few others that ya may want to check out here, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=guide. :devil win

Comment

Can over clocking too high Kill a hard drive?

Comment

Jury's still out on my situation (agp/pci bus was locked when i was trying out new settings) when my scsi hd died on me... but ya a hd can be killed via overclocking if the pci bus is set realy off... lost a maxtor once that way (celeron 366 @ 622... hdd, modem and audio didn't like that setting).

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
                  0R1()N[/size]]
                  Can over clocking too high Kill a hard drive?
                  Yep and just about anything else which is why we (and companies) will take no responciblities for damage that you cause. Maxtor HDD's have a very bad rep in this area but any other drive can be killed in this way too. :devil win

Comment

Just out of curiosity is the reason HDDs might die when overclocking is because the power is cranked up-- or does it have to do with the connection to the motherboard?

I'm new to this arena and I am currently getting ready to build a P4 system. Any recommendations on chipsets/motherboards/processors/speedy hds would be appreciated as well. I'm looking at the granite bay chipset and putting a 2.53 northwood in it.. If anyone has any other suggestions for a mobo/proc for overclocking that'd be great. I'd prefer to be able to put a 3.0 in it later. I know they're a bit pricey but I haven't found any other boards that I feel will last me awhile. Last year I bought an epox 8K3A+ board with a xp 1900 in it. Everyone tells me to go XP but from what I've been reading that P4s will give me more 'unf' :P Any urls/comments on that topic would be appreciated as well.

encarnus
                    x65 x6e x63 x61 x72 x6e x75 x73

Comment

HD's will die when overclocking because the PCI bus frequency gets raised. That's why it's best not to break 37mhz on your PCI bus (if your bios has the option to lock your agp/pci bus, use it!).

As for the mainboard, I'd suggest ya go with the SiS655 mainboards if you want to buy right now... if not, wait a few weeks and get an i875P chipset motherboard. Gigabyte has a nice SiS655 mainboard, but as for the i875P boards... can't make any recommendations until I get me hands on one of those :D

Comment

Working...
                      X