Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time OC on 5820K....60C under load at 4.3Ghz, won't POST at 4.4Ghz...haven't touched voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time OC on 5820K....60C under load at 4.3Ghz, won't POST at 4.4Ghz...haven't touched voltage

Hello :)

I've built my own computers for a long time but have never tried to OC before. I just setup a 5820K with both an AIO and great air flow so I figured I'd give it a shot.

So far, I have:
    -Set XMP to 2400Mhz (my memory is only rated at 2133, but it has run without problem)
    -Set multiplier to 43x
    -Set voltage to Adaptive (if I use "auto" the max I can get it 42x multiplier)
    -Set VCore to 1.25V

Currently running OCCT my temps max out around 60C with 1 core hitting 64C (I assume its bad thermal paste distribution since this core always runs 5C hotter than the rest). I think I have a lot of room with temps, but if I up my multiplier anymore, I lose stability (CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD or random system hangs occurs during OCCT testing). Some reading seems to indicate I should up my voltage, but I was concerned about what the "average safe zone" voltage (and temps) were for the 5820K. Is there a user submitted listing (or averages) anywhere?

How do I up my voltage and test for safety without putting my cpu at risk?

If I am taking the wrong approach or you have any other suggestions on how I can up my power, I would appreciate it. I don't know much about OCing, but my temps feel ridiculously low under load (I'm used to running at 80C under 100% load). My PC specs are in my profile.

Re: First time OC on 5820K....60C under load at 4.3Ghz, won't POST at 4.4Ghz...haven't touched voltage

I upped the voltage to 1.265 and now I get into windows but OCCT causes windows to freeze (no bsod)...will try adding a little more if it freezes again but hesitant on how far I should go.

I am now at:
    44x multi
    1.265 VCore
    71C under 100% load

seem to be crashing only while testing with OCCT but not ETU...will try more ETU and some Prime95 to see how it goes...

I should also add that I am getting pretty awful Valley (2500 1 card, 3300 CF) and Intel ETU (1726 @ 4.4Ghz) benchmark scores.

3D Mark Fire Strike 16914 - is this a good score? Their graph seems to compare ALL computers so obviously my setup should outrank office pcs and such, but what about compared to my peers? AMD Radeon R9 290 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-5820K Processor,MSI X99S SLI PLUS (MS-7885)

Comment

Re: First time OC on 5820K....60C under load at 4.3Ghz, won't POST at 4.4Ghz...haven't touched voltage

Way i do it these days is to keep upping the voltage until i'm happy with max temps (usually 80c under intel burn test), and then figure out what clock speeds i can get from that.
      What temps does it do at 1.3v? Might be worthwhile to reapply the thermal paste if you're worried about an individual cores temp.

Comment

Originally posted by MattVRX View Post
        Way i do it these days is to keep upping the voltage until i'm happy with max temps (usually 80c under intel burn test), and then figure out what clock speeds i can get from that.
        What temps does it do at 1.3v? Might be worthwhile to reapply the thermal paste if you're worried about an individual cores temp.
        Thanks for that reply. Does this mean as long as my temps are in the safe zone I can continue to increase my vcore? Is there any other value I need to be aware of? I'm afraid of frying my CPU and am not entirely sure what kind of over-voltage protections there are. I know if I push my heat too much fail-safes will shut down my computer, but I don't believe the same protections exist for over voltage so I'm a little apprehensive.

Right now, my temps are *REALLY* safe. I'm not worried at all about the extra couple C on core 2 since my overall temps are relatively ice cold (I'm comfortable pushing the CPU to 80C under load as well). I am running my H100i coolers at 50% speed (for noise) and my temps under 100% load do not pass 72C. If I run my H100i fans at 100% speed, my temps under 100% load are around 63C (at 4.5GHz and RAM from 2133 to 2400)!! I don't have much to compare to, but this feels very cold to me compared to past experiences.

I can stress test using Intel XTU without problems.

However, if I uses Prime95, it returns a few errors immediately in the test threads and the PC hangs almost immediately (Within 1 minute of starting test). If I use OCCT to test, it also hangs randomly (but takes longer to hang)...... Intel XTU and OCCT's "Linpack" test both run without any problems. I am not sure as to the relevance of this, but I'm going to try stress testing with some BF4 to see how stable it is. I figure I don't need to pass "every" test as long as the system isn't failing on me under actual use.

Usually when the system hangs, its just a freeze and I have to hard power cycle. Sometimes though, I get a BSOD during testing that is the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error.

My Valley benchmark scores are still *ALL* over the place. I'll run a test (in CF; extreme HD presets) and get 3300, then reboot and run the same test again to get 4200. It seems to be a higher score immediately on boot (and lower score if I run a stress test first and then benchmark after). No idea why this is.
        Last edited by EvilLost; 07-25-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I upped my VCore to 1.295 and XTU is stable but OCCT and Prime95 continue to give Watchdog errors...

45x multi
          1.295 VCore
          CPU Temp with 50% radiator fan speeds = MAX 75C

...which brings me back to the question of how to know when I'm reaching unsafe voltages ?
          Last edited by EvilLost; 07-25-2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Well it depends on your chip and what you consider unsafe. I had a 2500k run at 1.48v for a few benchmarks and it was happy enough.
            Basically, keep it under 1.35v if you want to keep it for a fairly long length of time. I'd put it at 1.3/1.32v and see if it's stable in games and such, if it is just roll with it. With the temps you're looking at, it'll hit a thermal limit before it hits a voltage one.
            Last edited by MattVRX; 07-26-2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X