• Show
Clear All

• Problem overclocking E2160 !!

ok first of all here is what I have now:
    CPU : E2160 stock cooler (2400rpm)
    MB : ECS 945PL-A V3.0 (1066mhz FSB)
    RAM : 2x 512mb DDR2 667
    GC: 8600GT OC

I read in many forums and guides that I must fixing the PCIE clock when overcloking so in the bios menu I chose disabled for sync the PCIE clock and it fix the PCIE clock to 100Mhz as sys tool said , BUT when I bass 225Mhz FSB the computer wont boot and restart with default setting !! I tried changing the memory setting , frequency,ratio to 1/1 but nothing happened !!
    please help me to know what block the FSB at that speed and how to fix that.

note:when I change the PCIE sync to enable( PCIE=120MHZ) I can reach 242 FSB but then It cannot detect my SATA HDD.
    Pentium D 3.0Ghz
    1.5gb DDR2
    ASUS 9800GTX+
    P945
    FDD

Tech-Share

Re: Problem overclocking E2160 !!

Well you are using an ECS mainboard but try lifting the FSB straight up to 266MHz (1066), this should work without any other changes being made (some will even boot at 333MHz (1333) with a little voltage adjustment). By rights once your PCI-e bus gets to around a 15%+ o/c is when you'll start to get issues with hardware running on it (hhd, sound,etc,..).

Comment

I know that once my PCI-e bus gets to around a 15%+ o/c is when I'll start to get issues with hardware running on it, thats why I fixed my PCIE clock to 100mhz , BUT my problem is with a PCIE clock fixed I cannot pass 223Mhz !!!!
      I dont know why
      Pentium D 3.0Ghz
      1.5gb DDR2
      ASUS 9800GTX+
      P945
      FDD

Tech-Share

Comment

Have you tried the jump straight to 266MHz?

Comment

Another thing, with that cheap CPU have you considered doing the BSEL FSB Mod?

Here's some results on a Dell Vostro 200 with E2160 using both 266MHz and 333MHz mods.

Comment

no I haven't tried to jump to 266mhz but I dont think that will work.
            and why I must use BSEL FSB Mod while others with the same CPU E2xxx can reach 3.2GHZ and more without any mods just increasing the FSB , google "E2160+overclocking" and you will see !!!!???
            but for me I don't know why I cant reach that speed ,may be RAM or mobo !!
            Pentium D 3.0Ghz
            1.5gb DDR2
            ASUS 9800GTX+
            P945
            FDD

Tech-Share

Comment

The thing is that at 200/266/333/400 your memory straps, dividers and multipliers (so long as you're memory is set right and not to high) are at a perfect ratio set but once you move above those settings the straps will develop "holes" (I've been trying to find an article that fully explains this but I've yet to find one atm) and its very likely that you've found your 1st one.

Also, those articles googled (already been there ages ago) I noticed so far all use mainboards from quality manufacturers (ASUS seem to be the mainboard of choice for most of the so far) and I'm sorry but ECS in my books has always a budget maker and the strap holes are likely much bigger than the better quality producers.

Also I never said that you "must" use the BSEL mod, I said "consider".

Comment

thank you wayout44 for your explanation ;) its cleared quite a bit up
                do you think that if I set fsb to 266 and set memory divider to 1:1 will work ?

and what you think about this mobo and this one ?
                Last edited by mhrlive; 05-14-2008, 08:08 AM.
                Pentium D 3.0Ghz
                1.5gb DDR2
                ASUS 9800GTX+
                P945
                FDD

Tech-Share

Comment

Working...
                X