Advice needed relating to Q6600 and PSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed relating to Q6600 and PSU

I recently purchased a Q6600, its G0 SLACR i know these overclock fairly well. I have been hitting a bit of a wall with the chip but I'm pretty sure it is more likely to be the PSU stopping me. The PSU rails drop a fair bit under full load (prime95 with 4 threads). I'm able to achieve 3.6ghz but am not able to reach 3.8ghz. This could be me wanting to much but I'm pretty sure the chip can reach it.

My current system specification is below:

CPU: Q6600 @ 3.6GHz 1.5v (400x9)
    RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair XMS2 667mhz (not an issue had this stuff running at around 1000mhz got extremely lucky I think)
    Mobo: P5B Deluxe (I've had the FSB on this at 470 without an issue)
    PSU: Tagan TG530-U22
    HDDs: 4x250GB RAID0 and 320GB for Linux
    Graphics: 8800GTS 320MB

I'm using a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with a Scythe S-FLEX to cool the CPU. The case is fairly cool too it's an Antec Nine Hundred.

CPU Temps @ 3.6ghz:
    Idle: 38-39c
    Load: 60-62c

I am guessing it is a PSU issue, I've been looking at the Corsair 620W as a replacement. I am open to suggestions for other PSUs but after this Tagan it needs to be modular.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks.

Re: Advice needed relating to Q6600 and PSU

While Tagan is a good brand name in power supplies, a 530w model is woefully underpowered for that 8800GTS video card. I cannot make any assurances that it is PSU related, but I think you may be on the right track.

As far as power supplies go, their are several good names that are making modular power supplies. Tagan, Cooler Master, and Corsair are three good names to look at. And since you are obviously playing with clock speeds, you might see if you can afford more than the Corsair 620. It is a very solid PSU, but if you can afford to kick in for a 1000w model, it will give you a bit more headroom for future upgrades.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Are you monitoring your voltage?
      I have looked around for answers to the same questions you are asking about the PSU and the following url is the only one that has helped. I started with a coolmax powersupply tester and use a volt meter as well.

Comment

Thank you both for the input, that article was quite interesting too. Never really considered modifying a PSU before! Any who I've got someone to lend me a FSP Booster for while. It should take some of the strain off my current supply, hopefully issue disappears. If it does I'll just grab a better PSU. Thanks again for the input :).

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X