Yawg's New PC Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yawg's New PC Thread

After having attempted to save up on several occasions, I finally got enough money to build a new Core 2 Duo gaming machine. It's replacing my Athlon 64 X2 system, which is bogged down with Server 2003 and all of my various network software.

My new system consists of the following:
    Newegg:
    2x1GB G.Skill DDR2 800
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
    AMS CF-7639BK Mid Tower

Anandtech forums:
    XFX 8800GTS
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB
    Enermax Liberty 620W
    Yate Loon 120mm Fan x 2

Jab-Tech:
    Thermalright SI-128
    Panaflo 120mm L1A (on backorder to replace one Yate Loon)

I got the Enermax Liberty months ago for the X2 system. It actually failed a while back, and I RMAd it. This was not enough to convince me to not use it (and who know if there weren't other factors in its demise?), so it's in the new system due its modular nature (modular PSUs = awesome). I actually purchased a 700W OCZ on Anandtech for an extremely low price, but it went in the X2 while the Enermax was RMAs, and I haven't any inclination to remove it.

The RAM was a simple choice of what is cheap that will handle the overclock I need. It fits well and is working great.

The board was a tough choice. I was on a budget and wanted a high-end, overclocking board. I finally convinced myself that I'd never be dumb enough to get SLI, so I forgot about all NV 680 boards. I decided I didn't need high-def audio since I'll eventually get an add-in card anyway, so the Gigabyte DS3 was out. The board I get is widely considered to be a reliable overclocker, and it was just over $100 from Newegg.

The case was actually a brand recognition thing for me. After some searching, I figured out what brand my X2's case is, because I love that case. I found another case from the same manufacturer, and I liked the looks and features. It's more than I usually spend on a case, but its working great. It's a pleasure to work with and a pleasure to look at. It's also very easy to get good airflow going.

The 6300 was pretty much a no-brainer as I was on a tight budget. I guess I could have lived with a 4300, though.

I initially was going to use the stock HSF, but because of mounting issues (due partially to operator error, and partially to Intel's poor mounting mechanism for LGA 775), I managed to get some pretty bad temperatures. I looked around, and determined the SI-128 would meet my needs. This thing is a ****ing monstrosity. It took me half an hour to install it and I had to take everything off the motherboard and the PSU out of the case. I've never bled as much in a computer. Due to my negligence, I failed to notice my Yate Loon has screws tubes that extend the entire height, which prevents the SI-128 fans clips from working well. I'll be replacing the Yate Loon with a Panaflo L1A once it gets off backorder at Jab-Tech. In any case, temps dropped by around 30C, so the trouble is worth it.

The 8800, Barracuda, as well as a TV tuner and 700W OCZ PSU all came in one deal at Anandtech for $610. All were NIB except for the five-year warranty HDD. This ended up being around $100 less than what retail price for the same or comparable items would have been. Great deal IMO.

Getting to the good stuff, I managed to get to 2.8GHz almost immediately, with loads under 50c. I'm Prime stable for 12 hours at 2.8GHz. I currently am testing 3GHz, but I needed to bump some voltages for that to work, so I can't declare it stable. I'm at about 30 minutes Prime stable.

Supreme Commander Demo, Company of Heroes, Medieval 2 Total War and Battlefield 2 currently all run maxed at 1600x1200 @ 75Hz on my 19'' NEC CRT with no problems. My Folding@Home points per day has increased by at least 300 due to this machine. I'm very pleased right now. :D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 02-09-2007, 11:54 PM.

Re: Yawg's New PC Thread

Wow, sounds like a really nice extreme performance / budget build.

How do you like that 8800? I can't imagine how many FPS you could get out of that thing!!! Besides, you don't really need SLi if you have an 8800.

Are you planning on running Vista on it? This would be an excellent test system since it has a C2D , 8800GTS, and 2gigs of ram.

Sometime, it would be really cool to see the benchmarking stats on that thing.

I'm on the hunt for parts, so I might have something by mid summer, although it won't be that nice. Auto detailing is finally starting to show some real profits.

Comment

Boy, when you jump in, you do it with both feet! Nice system! I know my E6300 easily does 3.4GHz with minor voltage bumps, it is all a matter of cooling. That cooler gets great reviews so you should easily see 3.2GHz if you really want to. I tend to run 2.8GHz 24/7 because there is little that can take advantage of any more speed than that right now. Sure wish I could make the jump to an 8800 card, but I am "stuck" with a volt modded 7900GTX for now.

And yes, let's see some scores........
      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
      PC P&C 500W PSU
      2TB Seagate
      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

I'm actually concerned that the rest of the system hasn't sufficient cooling for the overclock. "System" temp generally shows over 50c at load, while CPU rarely makes it past 48. It's the first time I've ever seen the CPU temp go lower than the system temp on a computer.

As far as the overclock, I started hitting a wall at 3GHz. I brought it down to 2.95GHz and it's currently Prime stable. I'm about to go memtest it at 430x7 to see if it was RAM or something else. I'm suspecting I just didn't have sufficient VCORE.

Comment

What you really need to do is put a 60mm or 80mm fan over that northnridge chipset. I have no idea why they think they can passively cool them when they get so damn hot. Might even help your OC out too. Either way, 1GHz+ PC on stock Vcore is wicked! I get 3.4GHz prime stable @ 1.36V Vcore so with any luck a minor bump will help you to.
          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
          PC P&C 500W PSU
          2TB Seagate

Comment

With a minor Vcore bump and major chipset and RAM bumps, I'm stable at 2.95GHz. I don't think I'll be able to stabilize 3GHz+ until I get active cooling on the chipset heatsink. I'm actually looking more at a side-mounted 120mm fan aimed at it and the video card. The SI-128 doesn't leave much clearance for a fan, which would basically be sucking air from the SI-128's exhaust anyway. I'd certainly consider remounting the chipset heatsink and applying Arctic Silver 5 as well. I'm really thinking it's what's holding me back right now. The RAM passes Memtest86+, and the CPU isn't even hitting 50c at load, but I couldn't get it to last for more than two or three hours at 3GHz. Even with greatly increased voltage to everything, it's not making it.

Comment

The chipset temps are known to limit those boards. I'd be willing to blame that as well. I keep an 80mm fan over my chipset on my DQ6 even with the heatpipe setup because I just don't feel that passively cooling them is enough when overclocking. I agree with that side mounted fan as well. Tweakmonster makes some brackets, one for a 120MM and one for dual 80MM and they work well, I have the dual 800MM around here somewhere that I use when I do crazy benchmarking runs.

On a sidenote, that ram could also be limiting you abit, although at the speeds your talking about it should be fine. Are you running it 1:1? I have found little difference in trying to run the ram faster than the CPU and 1:1 has always been more stable and easier to overclock for me.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

I have the RAM set to 2.0, but that's because the base Core 2 FSB is quad-pumped while DDR is only doubled for effective frequency, so at 430x7, the RAM is at 860DDR2, which should be 1:1. I had the voltage way up there and AFAIK this RAM shouldn't have any heat issues. It passed memtest, so I'm thinking it's the chipset. The new fan and stuff will be here by Friday, so I'll get around to getting active chipset cooling and increased exhaust around then.

Comment

Any updates? I am curious to see how well you system OC's.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

I wasn't able to get it past about 435x7 without stability issues. I don't think it's any sort of heat issue. At this point, it's a motherboard or processor limitation. Probably the former. If I could get more voltage into it, it might work. I might get it to work if I messed with it some more, too. That said, I'm quite satisfied at 3GHz. I'm pretty sure it will last until I go for Core 2 Quad in three to nine months.

Supreme Commander, Medieval 2, Oblivion, and Battlefield 2 are all running great right now. I might do some F.E.A.R. and Source benchmarks and post the results.

I did manage to overclock the video card around 10-15%. It can go closer to 30%, but gets minor artifacts at anything above where I currently have it.

Dual-Core is awesome by the way. My socket 939 X2 3800 has been running close to 70 processes on Server 2003 (running everything from MySQL and Active Directory to antivirus and Folding) without any issues, and is still able to game. On the Core 2, the other day I decided to convert my xvid of The Departed to a mpg4 Video_TS for a DL DVD. After I started it, I pulled up Supreme Commander and beat the first few levels on max settings with no performance problems whatsoever. Fast SMP systems rock.

Comment

Nice! I agree, there really is no need for more speed. I can get 3.5GHz stable with more voltage and heat, but I can't think of a logcial reason as to why I should. I run 2 instances of folding @ home and roughly 40 background processes and have yet to see any issues when gaming.

I need to update my video card to something slightly more powerful since I run a 20" LCD @ 1650X1080 resolution and the video card slightly struggles. I have my eye on the low end 8800GTS 320MB as that is about the most money I can possible scrape up to make the DX-10 jump.

I plan on making the quad core jump in 6-10 months as well as I just built my wife a PC that will get my E6300 (currently has Celly D) so that will be my angle to her to get her to let me buy one.
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate

Comment

Wait for the 8800GTS 640MB to come down in price. At 1600x1200, it's just enough to max out current games.

Comment

Working...
                        X