Worth Overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Overclocking?

I'm curious if the following setup is worth overclocking?

P4 2.8GHz
    MS-6585 ATX
    550W PSU
    1024MB RAM
    ATI 9600xt 256MB

If the above setup does have potential; tips, guides, and suggestions on this particular setup are welcomed as this will be my first time overclocking. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
    Steven

Re: Worth Overclocking?

it depends what you do with your PC. if you play games, then overclocking the cpu will not affect frame rates much, since the graphics card doesnt have enough power. if you overclock your videocard, its a different story - and its easy to do. use a program such a atitool.
    if youre using the pc for cpu intensive tasks, then it is worth overclocking.
    finally, if i were you id overclock it well, beceuse thats me :)
    if you do overclock, remember to stress test after each adjustment. there are a lot of good tutorials on overclocking on the internet if you search.

Comment

The CPU is a great overclocker (assuming we're talking about a 2.8c or later here) and in a good motherboard with decent cooling will do 3.4-3.6GHz.

But as Munkul said, it won't do a thing for any games. Your video card is basically what I would consider to be the minimum possible card for a modern gaming system. Anything much lower (anything below Radeon 9550/Geforce 5500) will be unable to play some modern games and barely play the ones it can. A 2.8GHz P4 is better matched with a Radeon 9700/9800 or GeForce 5700 or 5900. Overclocking the video card may help, but it's almost at the stage where it's just plain old.

Comment

for $87 this agp card really kiks butt!!!(12 pipes!!),i have 2 pcs here i put them into for customers and they play reallllllllllly nice man!!overclocked this card will smoke a stock 6800ultra!!,u can unlock pipes too but be careful...

reviews of the same card,diff comapny

"I tried the max settings on everquest2 with this card but it lag too much but did very well on the setting below with some custom settings which would really make it between the highest and 2nd highest setting. So definately a great card. It is good for gamming no matter what the last reviewer said. i get around 60-80 depending on the game with the settings i said above, so thats equal to a pci-e 6800. I go by how a high-end game play with the settings on max, not the 3dmark scores which i think mean nothing anyways. And to play everquest2 at such a high setting with a AGP card is just plain Uber Superb."
        Last edited by bf2nut; 10-05-2006, 05:44 PM.
        Stacker830 Watercooled
        windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
        Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
        8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
        Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
        13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
        (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
        biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
        xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
        sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
        co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
        Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
        Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Comment

For that price, it is indeed a great AGP card. I'm surprised they make the X1600Pro in AGP.

Comment

Working...
          X