No announcement yet.

Need to know if this is a good setup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know if this is a good setup...

I already bought an opteron 144 but i was wandering what else I should buy to get it to its potential. I was thinking about getting a dfi lanparty ut nf4 sli dr expert, 1 gig of corsair xms 4400 and a water cooling system to cool it all down. I want to get the opteron to around 2.8 and just want to know if this would be the best way to go. Any response would be helpful. Thanks.

Re: Need to know if this is a good setup...

I have the Expert board, it is not that easy to get going. There are a few issues you have to figure out before you can do certain things, for example you cant use any program that scans the SMBUS or the system crashes on the spot. Easy enough to fix though. If you are going to be using SLI then by all means get the SLI-DR Expert, if you dont plan on using SLI get the Ultra-D, and it can even be modded to a SLI configuration later if you change your mind. Other than that I dont see any problem.... Oh what power supply are you planning on usung?

Comment

I'm building a completely new system. I was going to get the seasonic s12 600 watt.

Comment

Excellent PSU for the money. Get's alot of great reviews too. Should work well with that board. I would skip the Expert board and get the ULTRA-D if I were you. They are extremely tough to work with and seem to be filled with glitches. SLI is really only worth it if you have a large monitor running high resolutions anyways.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

will the ultra d give me the option to change the ram multiplier so i can get the fsb up to around 300 or so?

Comment

The ULTRA-D has the most options in BIOS for adjusting ram than any other board (except other DFI boards of course). You will be amazed at what you can do. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate

Comment

If I wanted to run it in sli, would the sli-d be just as good as the ultra d in terms of overclocking options?

Comment

Wow, your system looks to be a definate winner. Since you're using some fantastic components, why don't you just get 2 gigs of corsair xms? That would really benefit your processor and would help with SLI.

Comment

The SLI-D is basically the same board as the Ultra-D except it is SLI ready. Yes it has the same options for overclocking as the ULTRA-D. I prefer OCZ ram as it tends to be more universally compatible.
                  GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                  AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                  PC P&C 500W PSU
                  2TB Seagate

Comment

Which ocz ram would you recommend for a massive overclock like this? Is there a certain overclockers type?

Comment

I would get this. It overclocks extremely well.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Platinum

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227210

Comment

If I got pc3200 though wouldn't it only let me increase the fsb to 200mhz or so. To overclock the opteron to what I want i suspect I would need to get the fsb to around 320 or so. Am I missing something her?

Comment

Well, that 2GB kit will not overclock that well. What you need to do is run a divider on your ram to get it running where it likes. THat PC3200 kit tends to overclock around 220-230MHz. So you would set a divider in bios on the ram and keep the ram speed low while increasing the HTT on the CPU. It sounds complicated, but it is simple once you learn how.
                          GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                          AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                          PC P&C 500W PSU
                          2TB Seagate

Comment

With the right timings this ram :

will give you an incredible 1:1 overclock. 2GB kits are for gaming, 1GB kits are for overclocking and will perform well for just about every game available.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate

Comment

So you would recommend getting 1 gig of pc3200 and just set a ram divider. Would there be any improvement in overclocking if i got pc4400 without a ram divider instead of the pc3200 with a ram divider? Also, what do you mean that its good with the right timings?
                              Last edited by storyoftheweek; 03-14-2006, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X