overclocking AMD Athlon64 3500+ vience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking AMD Athlon64 3500+ vience

Hey Every1, im havin problems getting my 3500+ stabely above 11 x 231, im not sure wat the problem can be bacause iv read on loads of forums that people have gotten theirs at 2800ghz! Any way my System:
    athlon64 3500+ vience @ 2541ghz, 1155fsb
    Asus a8n-sli
    2x512mb giel pc3200 ram
    Leadtech 6800GT 256mb
    q-Tech 650w psu (cheap sh*t)

im thinking it may be because of my psu but i dont know, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Re: overclocking AMD Athlon64 3500+ vience

Lower your HT multiplier to 4x if under 250Mhz, if over that go down to 3x
    Also lower your CPU multiplier to gain a higher HTT/FSB, however watch that your RAM frequency does not got to high, use a RAM devider for higher HTT overclocking.

You may also have to raise CPU voltage and/or RAM voltage, but be aware of the heat repocussions aswell, use good cooling and make sure you have suffcient air circulation.

Comment

well today iv tried again at overclocking it and no matter what it wont go above 2600mhz (about) without either blue screening or just not booting, iv even tried my fsb bump at 2x! Could having a ****ty cheap power suply cause these problems?

Comment

It maybe the PSU but have you increased core/mem voltages and what load temps are you getting (what sort of cooling are you using, stock)?

Comment

at the moment im getting about 52 deg. max at 100% usage, im using a arctic cooling fan with a very large heatsink on it. iv tried increasing my cpu voltage and ram but still cant get it any more oc'ed.

Comment

List all of your settings, CPU speed/HTT/HT/ram speed/ram timings/CPU voltage/ram voltage. With the info you are giving, there is no way to tell what your problem could be.
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

lol, ok,

cpu speed: 2541mhz
              htt: 231
              ht: x5
              ram speed: 231Mhz
              ram timings: 2.5/3/3/6
              cpu voltage: set to 1.55v, but cpu sez 1.504v
              ram voltage: 2.9v

i know my Giel x2 512mb pc3200 DDR400 ram is quite oced at the moment but iv tried limiting it aswell to get a higher clock speed and it makes no difference.
              Last edited by smokey888; 03-03-2006, 08:00 PM.

Comment

You need to set a divider on the ram to slow it down. Set it to boot up @ 166MHz in bios, that should give you some room. Also, set the HT to 4. If you plan on running the HTT over 250, set the HT to 3. I always leave my HT at 3 as it makes almost no difference in real world speed anyways and that way I can turn up the hTT as high as I want to in windows. That Vcore should get you to 2600MHz, but you may need to give it 1.6V to go higher. I would say set it to 1.6V and see how far it will go. I would be surprised if that combo could not do 2.7GHz.

You could even try setting the ram @ 133MHz at startup to make absolute certain it is not the ram holding you back. I would have to say that is the issue. That and the HT set to 5 will cause you problems.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate

Comment

dam! nope its deffinately wont have it. im at 2600 now (11x237) with 5xHT and 237mhz RAM, Iv tried every which way there possibly is in my bios now iv even tried 1xht and 133 limit on ram but still no more. well iv gota say thanks for ya help guys but i think im just gona have to buy a new expensive PSU and see wat happens, because there is nothing else it can be unless i got i dogy chip or summit lol.

Comment

You need to set the HT to 4 when you are overclocking. I cannot stress this point enough. And if you try to run the HTT over 250, you must set the HT to 3. There is absolutley NO advantage to setting the HT to 5. You are running the system bus much too fast with the HT @ 5. Set it to 4 and leave it there. I guarantee it is the ram stopping your overclock, not the PSU.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate

Comment

i have tried my ht at 4, 3, 2 and even 1 and it still wont go above 2600, i would happily set my ht to 3 if i could get 2700 or 2800 clock speed but it just wont work like i say even with 1ht.

Comment

I understand that, but setting it to 5 is bad when overclocking, even the slightest overclock. Leave it at 4. You are sure to get instability at any HTT speed over 200 with the HT set to 5.
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate

Comment

fuk it, im gona sell my 3500+ and buy a 3800+ dual core, wont cost much to upgrade for the performance gain.

Comment

Actualy there is a proformance loss there, you're going from a 2.2GHz single core to a 2GHz dual core. In single threaded applications(like most games) you will notice a decrease in proformance, but in multi threaded apps (or multipul applications) you will see increases.

You wont get any farther in your overclocking either(assuming your problem lies in your motherboard).

Comment

hmmm good point, but iv decided to go for the 4200+ witch is 2.2ghz so logically that should give me the same performance in singal threaded apps.(as the 3500+), plus a large increase in multi threaded apps.

so has anyone overclocked a 4200+ before? ill estimate that it will get about 2.6ghz, but lets see.

q-tech 650W PSU
                              A8N-SLi nF4 board
                              AMD 3500+ @ 2607 (237 x 11@ 1.525v) 1185FSB
                              2x512mb Giel ddr400 pc3200
                              Leadtek 6800gt @ 400/1100 (6800 ultra)
                              Panasonic DVDrw
                              AOPEN DVD/CDrw
                              250gb SATA Maxtor HDD

Comment

Working...
                              X