Is it worth OCing PNY Geforce 6600 256mb AGP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth OCing PNY Geforce 6600 256mb AGP

Hi, i need help in deciding wether or not to overclock my graphics card and whats its limits. I have Rivia Tuner (newest version) and i have figured out how to use it. If u need my pc specs to help you here they are.
    P4 3.0gz HT
    Gigabyte motherboard 8S648FX-RZ
    SIS 648FX + 963L
    1*512mb DDR RAM 400hmz (getting another soon)
    3 case fans + 1processor + 1 graphics (so overheating isnt a problem as the whole system stays round 31c-45c)
    Nvidia forceware 67.03 Beta (only one that works with my system)

The reason why i want to overclock is that when iam playing a high-end game like Battlefield 2 it will suddenly slow down to 15fps. Ive looked in the other possible way why it could be slowing down but i think its the graphics card

Re: Is it worth OCing PNY Geforce 6600 256mb AGP

BF2 is slow because it is a ram hog and wants 2GB of ram to run properly at high resolutions/framerates. That extra 512MB of ram will help. That card should overclock fairly well and it is worth a shot, just take it slow and watch your temps.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Can u give me any links to free software that monitors temps in the pc

Comment

Sorry but never mind about that last quote, but can anyone tell me what the normal range for a graphics card temp when in ilde. (at the moment it is at 61c)
        THX

Comment

To me that sounds a bit high, although I have little experiance with 6600 setups. My 6800GT ran at about 60c when I had it so a lesser card should be cooler in my opinion, though it does have a fairly small cooler compaired to the 6800GT so I couldent tell ya any more than "It sounds a bit high."

What kind of case airflow do you have?

woops, missed that part of your post, yeah I personaly use speedfan for temp monitoring.
          Last edited by Amd_Lover2004; 01-23-2006, 10:09 PM.

Comment

www.Speedfan.com
            Originally posted by UK_Karlos
            Can u give me any links to free software that monitors temps in the pc
            Main Rig-Clr full tower 7 colored fans,Asus A7N8X-Deluxe,Athlon xp3000+,1.5 gig pc3200,Saphire 9600pro 256 mb,Evercool wc101 water cooler,Ultra 500 x-connect,Maxtor 120,Dvd-rom,Dvd-ram,floppy,Windows XP pro sp2,2003 office pro...

Comment

Well ive tried speedfan and it carnt read any of the temps properly
              eg.
              Fan 1: 2500 rpm Temp 1: -5c
              Fan 2: 0 Temp 2: 32c
              Fan 3: 0 Temp 3: 199c
              HDD 0 Temp: 45c
              HDD 1 Temp: 25c

Its very strange but i use rivia tuner to find my graphics temp. As soon as i turn my pc on i load rivia then check the graphics temp and it will climb to 60c and stay there(without overclocking) then when i play a game like NFS: MW it can reach 80c in some cases. But then when i overclock it from 300mhz-329hmz GPU 500mhz-550mhz Mem the temp will still reach 80c but wont go any higher.

Off Topic:
              When u have dual monitors will games and other 3D apps run slower and maybe increse the graphic temp

Comment

I am not positive, but it sounds logical that it would do to the extra workload. You should look for an aftermarket GPU cooler, that would bring down those temps a bit. THey are alittle high, but 6600's run hot. I am assuming your card is AGP so your choices will be limited. I believe Zalman makes an excellent cooler for that card and should drop your temps by quite a bit. It would be a worthwhile investement if you are not upgrading for awhile.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate
                Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

ZALMAN is the best fan to go with if u want to cool your graphics card. i was runing at 80 c before with my x800xl now iam running around 40c fulload 50c oc never higher its a great fan u should buy it

Comment

Originally posted by UK_Karlos
                    Well ive tried speedfan and it carnt read any of the temps properly
                    eg.
                    Fan 1: 2500 rpm Temp 1: -5c
                    Fan 2: 0 Temp 2: 32c
                    Fan 3: 0 Temp 3: 199c
                    HDD 0 Temp: 45c
                    HDD 1 Temp: 25c
                    Fan1 is your CPU FAN, temp 2 is your CPU temperature in this case, sometimes it is temp 1. Temp 1 and 3 are sensors that either dont exist or have not been configured properly. HDD 0 is your master/main hard drive temperature, HDD 1 is your second/slave hard drive temperature.

As for your question about the second monitor... In my experiance, no, it will not increase temperatures. Some people here will probably beg to differ though.

Comment

Thanks guys that was some great help i will invest in a better cooling fan..

If anyone else has any more segestions about overclocking just leave your replies

Comment

Hello to all!

Can somebody here help me with gpu tweaking?
                        Surfed the net for days now but seems I cant find anyone that tested a Palit 6600LE 256mb. http://www.palit.com.tw/en/products/nvvga_6600le.html

Need to know until what speed or tweaking it can handle. current gpu temp idle is 42c and on C. Generals @ 46c @ room temparature.

Thanks in advance to all!

Comment

I need help badly =)

Comment

would anyone know what are the safe temps of a 6600LE, 6600, & 6600gt?

Comment

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1689294

Note: the ORB has incorrectly identified the clock speeds, the owner of this card states the clocks were 440/590

Maybe this will be of some help to you.
                              Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 02-20-2006, 06:11 PM.
                              E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Working...
                              X