overclocking 4000+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking 4000+

i need some tips and pointer on overclocking. i have an Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe and an Athlon64 4000+. i recently overclocked it to 2.6 originally 2.4 but i want to overclock it to a 2.8. but i don't know how. its like it won't let me or something. all im doing is messing with the memclock. is there more to overclocking than just memclock. my memclock is at i think 400mhz and my HTT is at 2x. so please help me get this to a 2.8. i recently just switched from a P4 to an AMD so i need some help.

thanks for all the tips.

edit: i forgot to mention that i have a clawhammer.
    Last edited by eXTasY; 01-11-2006, 12:22 AM.

Re: overclocking 4000+

if you guys need my full spec ill post it.

Comment

try increasing the voltage to the cpu a little at a time, try relaxing the memory timings 3,3,3,8 someone else can confirm if this is correct, or set ram to 166 instead of 200, it could be that you will not be able to overclock any further, i have a 3800 vience core 2.6 is easy but any higher causes stabilty issues.

Comment

what should the voltage to the cpu be?
        Last edited by eXTasY; 01-11-2006, 07:40 PM.

Comment

The core is Claw Hammer.

Your HTT should be set to 5 in its default configuration. I probably wouldn't lower it but one notch to 4 when overclocking. Claw Hammer isn't the best overclocker on the market, but you may be able to get a bit more. Since your processor isn't an FX, I assume the multiplier can only be lowered and not raised, so you might try lowering the multiplier from 12 to 10 and see if you can get the memory to post at higher speeds. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, so it will be slow going trial and error.

Classlessmetal does bring up some good points regarding timings and voltages. Without knowing what type memory you've got installed I can't say how well it will work, but relaxing the timings and raising the voltage can be helpful.

Good luck!
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

well im happy with what i have rite now so heres a screenshot of it.

is there anything that needs to be fix?

Comment

Clawhammers on air don't usually pass 2.6GHz but even with exotic cooling measures do they rarely hit 2.8GHz.

Comment

clawhammer sucks? then hopefully next year ill upgrade to a venice or san diego.

Comment

Socket 939 will be where socket A is now next year... The last 939 CPU just came out a few days ago. Why on Earth would you upgrade to a new socket 939 in 2007?

Besides, with your current temperatures I'd say you've got a good shot at 2.7-2.8. You might need to reduce HT to 3x to get there, but go for it.

Comment

hmmm.....i theres a new socket coming out next year? wow, i just bought this motherboard like a month ago and a new socket is coming out already.

hope my zalman supports socket A.
                    Last edited by eXTasY; 01-12-2006, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eXTasY
                      hmmm.....i theres a new socket coming out next year? wow, i just bought this motherboard like a month ago and a new socket is coming out already.
                      No, it's coming out this year. I was trying to imply it's coming out now. Socket 939 being where socket A is means "still useful for cheap system, but mostly obsolete otherwise." It won't be quite that bad in Q1 2007, but it will be close.

Comment

The new socket (AM2 and not just A) is due before mid this year and supports DDR2 memory via the new CPU's internal memory controller and even though it has 940 pins it is incompatible with any current s940 Opterons or the FX51.

Comment

So Q2 06 the am2 socket is coming or ?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Try lowering your RAM speed, this should help you find your max CPU speed.

The M2 socket got delayed. I've heard July at the earliest.

Comment

Working...
                              X