Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need guideance with your ASUp4p/p4c 800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need guideance with your ASUp4p/p4c 800?

Im relatively new to the overclocking scene, but Ive been around enough to know that for a new guy, things that might seem old hat to everyday power users can be confusing to us n00bs.

Ive been working for quite some time with the asus series p4p/p4c motherboards, and have experimented with a range of cpus.

Ive searched at length on guides and resources all over the internet that pertain to optimal settings for these components, specifically.

If there's enough intrest, I'll work on a step by step guide of my misadventures and post it here, detailing the steps and tricks that I used to get the most out of this hardware.

Im offering this because, well, I only wished someone would take the time to explain the fine art of tweaking these diamond in the rough pieces of hardware.

Im well aware of the fact that these components are hoplessly obsolete, but Im sure that since this was by FAR the most popular 478 motherboard, there's still a large number of people out there that want to skip the endless upgrade cycles and tweak their current rigs to perfection.

That is afterall, the essence of overclocking, is it not?

My main system specs, current as of today:

Asus P4P800 DELUXE
    2.8E Ghz Prescott, Running at 3.6Ghz Stable, FSB 1024
    2x512 OCZ Premier3200 2.5-3-3-6, Running at 428 Dual Channel, 5/4
    Asus N6600 128 GT
    Enermax 400w Noisetaker
    Coolermaster Hyper48 Copper CPU cooler

Again, if anyone is interested, please reply.

-vegas
    Last edited by kidvegas; 12-03-2005, 06:36 PM. Reason: incorrect values

Re: Need guideance with your ASUp4p/p4c 800?

A thousand hits and no replies?

I dont mind putting the work in if I know it'll be helpful.

Comment

I think there are already guides out there to help people overclock. I think there is on on this site too.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

you got the 800fsb to 1024 ?? can you post a screenshot of cpuz showing your settings please ? And thats a very healthy oc on the cpu you have there, I have been to 3.85gb with mine for benching, but I dropped it back to stock for everyday use. How are your temps at that oc?
        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

Asian, I think you're missing the point. What Im offering is to put together a detailed guide of how I tuned this specific hardware, and what I've found to work best, simply work, or not work at all.

Obviously overclocking guides exist. They're all over the internet. If they were the be all and end all of all hardware and circumstance, this forum itself would be redundant, would it not?

Anz, Ive actually had the fsb higher, but takes multiple boots to even load xp, let alone run stable. I will most certainly post a cpu-z screen. My temps @ 1024 are 42-44 idle, 54-58 under heavy load.

Again, all on modest, but well mapped air cooling.

Comment

Here it is.. I knocked the bus down a tick because it was one down from being unstable under heavy load..
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: Need guidance with your ASUSp4p/p4c 800?

I swear my keyboard batteries were dying when I typed in the thread topic. Im not that illiterate, I swear

.. so anyways, I was doing some final stability tests before I closed my case up for good.. and my system, sensing its days of being molested by tweaks were coming to an end, decided it would tempt me to tweak further, by overclocking itself to a word record and supercomputer speed of 341.19 GHZ. BEAT THAT AMD!

Who says prescotts run too hot? Check out the temps under full load @ that speed... At 1.48 vcore! lol on air cooling! that screencap wasnt touched up.. its the real deal.. Although Im thinking cpuz MAY have exagerrated the actual speed by a ghz or two.. Too bad it didnt last long enough for me to validate :|
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kidvegas; 12-04-2005, 08:15 AM.

Comment

60 degrees is a little warm lol
                E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

I'd take a 60 degree temp under load for speeds that high .. besides, its still 9 degrees under spec :D

Comment

ewwwww. A ram divider on a P4 = death. Get some better ram and run 1:1.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate
                    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

The ram set me back 2 bills almost 2 years ago. The machine is pretty much obsolete, Im not swapping hardware out of it unless it falls into my lap.

Running 5:4 on this setup yeilds considerably better all around performance then a lower fsb and 1:1 would. I can only get this memory to run at 440 stable, regardless of how loose my timings are, and at 255 fsb, its pretty close to that (420) anyways.

Im curious ... why would you say that running a divider on a p-4 = death anyways? ...I mean other than the underperforming memory?
                      Last edited by kidvegas; 12-05-2005, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X