New build running very slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build running very slow

I put together an all new build about a week ago. Everything went fine and i had high hopes for this machine. However, now it is up and running it seems to be running slower than my old machine. I've tried using nvidia ntune to improve bus speeds, read/write speeds to suit my hardware. but i think my problem lies in my bios setup. I'm using an AMD 64 3200+ and am getting speeds of about 1.975-2.00ghz, but the system seems much, much slower than my old AMD 32 2800+
    my system spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    DFI LANParty nF4 ultrad-d
    Gigabyte geforce 6800 GT 256mb PCI-E
    1 x 1gb pc3200 400mhz
    2 x IDE HDDs and 1 SATA HDD
    1 dvd drive

Someone please help, I've put my heart and soul into building this thing and it's so frustrating to see it lagging away. I know i can get more out of it. Another thing, my chipset is running at temps of 58-60, isn't this a bit hot? My CPU is at about 28-30
    Thanks in advance people :)

Re: New build running very slow

How did you go aboujt installing drivers and what drivers did you use? Does it have Dirext X 9.0C? What spindle rates (in RPM), sizes, and cache sizes do the hard drives have?

What were the full specs of the previous system?

Comment

How did you go about installing your chipset and drivers and all that.make sure you download the update chipset driver for the DFI board, then install the nvidia drivers.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.
        Well, first for the HDs. I'm running a western digital 40gb, 7200rpm 2mb cache as the master on the primary IDE.(which was brand new).
        A maxtor diamond max 10 200gb 7200rpm 8 mb cache as a slave (which was full, which is why i didnt use for the OS).
        And a samsung 80gb 7200 with 8mb cache on the first SATA chanel.
        When i Installed the system, I first ran the motherboard utility cd, installing all drivers and audio codecs. Then i downloaded and installed the latest nvidia nforce4 driver and utilities. Then I installed the AMD drivers. This is the first SATA, PCI-e motherboard i have built on, and I'm still not sure about setting up RAID. Would using the SATA drive be a better option? I'm begining to think its the master letting the system down, It was only supposed to be temporary to get the system up till i learnt more about SATA and RAID. My old motherboard had SATA capability but i never used it.
        MY old system was an AMD 32bit, 2800 2.08GHZ
        512 mb ddr sdram 333mhz
        80gb 7200 2mb cache master
        200gb 7200 8mb cache slave
        80gb 5400, (unsure of cache) as secondary master (which i had Linux installed on, this caused major problems with the old system)
        asus A7N8X motherboard with an nforce2 chip
        Siluro nvidia FX5600 DT 128mb
        It ran everything just fine but the new one seems to struggle.
        Maybe updating the HD drivers might help? as i havent done that yet.
        Thanks again
        Oh, and it does have directx 9.0c installed.
        Last edited by Slunky; 11-24-2005, 01:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Well you probably didn't need both nForce 4 drivers and the drivers that came with the CD, but that might not be the problem. You should have first installed the nForce 4 drivers, then any leftover drivers that were still needed from the CD.

You certainly shouldn't be using that drive as the system drive. Smaller drives actually go slower, so this is a considerable downgrade from your previous 80GB drive.

Comment

Can i clone my HD? Move the OS to the SATA drive? And how do I access voltage and multiplier values in my Bios? They seem to be locked on this board. I can see them but cant change them. Is there a software alternative? As I really want to start overclocking once i get current issues sorted.
            Thanks again :)

Comment

Content deleted by Administrator.
              Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-25-2005, 11:12 AM.

Comment

There may be a button you have to press in order to access them. Check the manual.

I'd suggest you reinstall, rather than trying to clone the HDD.

Comment

O.K. Thanks, That will keep me busy for a while. Thank you very much for all your help. Great site, and Yawgm0th you seem to be a fount of computer knowledge. Every thread i look at seems to have been solved or answered by you.
                  I'll get back to you once i have made progress.
                  Thanks again,
                  Have a nice weekend

Comment

Working...
                  X