How to overclock my PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to overclock my PC?

No, they aren't interchangable. The max you can get on a socket 754 board is a 2.4GHz Athlon 64 3700. Anything better will require a socekt 939 board.

Comment

No more Questions Yawgm0th. You answered every curve-ball I threw at ya man.
      Thanks.

Comment

thanks yawgm0th i dont know much about older athlons. or the mobo's. (no sarc)

Comment

[QUOTE=
          The motherboard is based on a chipset that doesn't have a working AGP/PCI lock. This means that when you overclock, the AGP and PCI buses will be overclocked as well. At only a few MHz above stock, this causes instability and basically kills your overclockability.[/QUOTE]
          how come my p4 overclocks stably 200mhz when my mobo doesnt have bus locks? i have found tht its impossible to overclock the ram- it needs underclocked but im mot too bothered

Comment

OK Yawgm0th. I took your advice and went shopping.
            This is what I put together. Since I have my old processor and Video Card I didn't get neither. but I did upgrade my MOBO, RAM, Cooling, Case and PSU.

For MOBO this is what I got http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=D452-2201

For RAM 2 of these http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?Sku=C13-5612

For Cooling http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=T925-2108

For Case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=T925-2074

And for PSU http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?Sku=A406-1046

These items will arrive on 01/25/2006. What do you think?
            If all work ok and after I set them up I will post again for the help of OC it. YePeEeEEeEe

Thanks
            Last edited by FastTarget; 01-23-2006, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Finally I got <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 33.75pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href='\\\"http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/beer.gif\\\"' src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ABDIAS~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>and went to <v:shape id=_x0000_i1026 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 18pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href='\\\"http://forums.tweaktown.com/images/smilies/sleepy.gif\\\"' src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ABDIAS~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>. <o:p></o:p>

This morning I woke up and started where I had left of last night and continued on without a missing a heartbeat.<o:p></o:p>

Everything came to nice sweat and beautiful. I did go into the setup and raised the FSB 200MHz, which is 220MHz x 10 and got 2.2GHz without a problem. Temperature stays around lower 30c idle and in game goes to 45c no system reboot no BSOD.<o:p></o:p>

My question is I'm looking into playing HL2 Lost Coast, which is about to come out. Game minimum requirement is 2.4GHz and I would love to raise speed that high but not pass it if I don't have to, but I seem to be stuck at 2.2GHz and if I go higher than that PC will go into restart loop until I go get into BIOS and slow it down.<o:p></o:p>

Any ideas, suggestions and or help would be appreciated.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Spec.<o:p></o:p>

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 754 ClawHammer 2GHz OC to 2.2GHz<o:p></o:p>

DFI LanParty UT NF3 250GB<o:p></o:p>

2GB (2x1024MB) DDR400 (PC3200) Corsair XMS PRO<o:p></o:p>

Thermaltake Full Tower<o:p></o:p>

Thermaltake Big Water SE Liquid Cooling System<o:p></o:p>

200GB 7200RPM Barracuda Seagate on drive 0<o:p></o:p>

120GB 7200RPM IBM on drive 1<o:p></o:p>

PS. I did OC DDR frequency from 133-200 because MOBO does lower RAM rate when installed dual 400MHz sticks, you have to raise rate manually. MOBO supports botch PC2700 and PC3200.<o:p></o:p>

Thanks in advance.<o:p></o:p>

Last edited by FastTarget; 01-26-2006, 12:36 AM.

Comment

HL2: Aftermath is coming out. Lost Coast is just the HDR tech demo and it has been out for a while.

Have you tried increasing the CPU voltage? Are you using a divider on the RAM?

Comment

Right I meant HL2 Aftermath.
                  My OC knowledge is very limited, and the only way I know how to increase speed of the CPU is by way of FSB. I can only raise the FSB speed by 200MHZ, that's all, and if I try to increase more system becomes unstable.
                  My question is how else can I do this, an instruction line of how else to increase and CPU and how high Clawhammer chips can go without system damage would be nice.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by FastTarget; 01-26-2006, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Anybody? help.

Comment

You got some serious misinformation. The minimum requirements are 1.2GHz:

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

You well more than enough PC to run this game on stock settings. In fact, the only limiting factor will be your choice of video cards. Which card are you using? Source engines seem to prefer ATI cards, but that in no means is any reason not to get a Nvidia card. If you have not chosen your card yet, look at the 6800GS. They are excellent cards and the AGP versions can be unlocked to 16 pipes. You have no worries and you have absolutely no need to overclock your PC. It is fully up to the task.
                      GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                      AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                      Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
                      Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
                      Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
                      PC P&C 500W PSU
                      2TB Seagate
                      Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Right, the minimum PC requirement for the game is 1.2GHz but the Preferred Requirement is 2.4GHz. I did OC CPU to 2.2GHz from 2GHz by way of increasing FSB frequency from 200MHz to 220MHz x 10 = 2200MHz, and that's the highest I can reach with the FSB without system being unstable.
                        I do use BFG Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra OC 256MB Video Card.
                        My questions are:
                        How high can a 3200+ Clawhammer be OCed?
                        And How can I reach there? what is the appropriate voltage rate?
                        Heck I mean just give me the whole instruction book...hehe

Mobo DFI Lanparty UT Nforce3 250GB
                        AwardBIOS.

Thanks.

Comment

The recommendation of 2.4GHz means a Pentium 4 2.4C, which is about the equivelent of a 1.5GHz Athlon 64. Trust me, you really will not have any CPU problem with the game.

We can't tell you how high the CPU can be OCed, though my memory is that Clawhammers don't OC so well. You can probably near 2.4GHz though.

Take the default voltage and bring it up in minor increments until the system is stable.

Look for BIOS setting that is labeled something along the lines of "FSB:RAM divider", "HTT:RAM divider", or "memory clock." You'll need to set your RAM to run at a different speed than the "HTT" or "FSB" (whichever your BIOS labels it as). For example, try setting it to 6:5 and setting the FSB or HTT to 240, which would give you a memory speed of 200MHz. Or, if it just gives you a memory speed (it would list 100, 166, 133, etc.), try setting it to 166MHz and increasing the FSB/HTT to 240. IIRC that board will give you a divider in the form of HTT:RAM and label it something along those lines, in which case you should try the HTT of 240 and 6:5 divider.

Comment

Ok. Will do.
                            Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X