o/c settings that generally increase fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• o/c settings that generally increase fps

Just curious about what anyone has found to be a good jump in fps from overclocking your stock rig.

ie was it a decrease in your multiplier to 8x, a bump in voltage to video ddr, ram timings etc

thanks~

Re: o/c settings that generally increase fps

On both my 2400 Athlon XP Barton and my 1GHz Athlon Thunderbird, one of the best things was using PC3200(or +) RAM and overclocking the FSB to 200MHz from 133MHz and 100MHz, respectively. Increasing the clock speed helps a lot, too. Since they're both multiplier-unlocked, I can decrease the multi and increase FSB as much as I need to get both a high FSB and high clock speed. Some games don't make as much use from the higher FSB, but Battlefield 2 and some of the other more-recent games really make use of the increased memory bandwidth for both loading times and framerates.

Comment

Yawgm0th - Do you overclock from windows or your bios?

Comment

BIOS, always the BIOS.

Comment

Windows ocing can cause corruption and more instability.
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

So the only thing you've found to be a "visible" improvement in FPS is by changing the ram voltage and the mhz?

What about video voltage?

Comment

Funny, I didn't say voltage once in my post.... Granted, I did have to increase voltage for CPU in order for things to be stable, but the voltage itself doesn't provide any improvement. I didn't overclock the RAM at all, just the processor FSB and clock speed. RAM overclocking will help mostly with Pentium 4s. With socket A processors, you just need to keep it at the same speed as the FSB.

I'd avoid touching your video cards voltage, and never mess with AGP voltage, if that's what you mean. You can improve overclockability by increases in the video card's voltage, but that's only if you have some pretty nice cooling, and even then it's probably not worth the change it will make in the card's life span. With a CPU, it might make the CPU last six years instead of ten, and it's obsolete at either point anyway. With a video card, it might mean one or two years instead of five.

Comment

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 939 3200+ Winchester 2ghz stock
                Motherboard: Asus K8V Deluxe
                Video: ATI Radeon 9800XT 256mb ddr
                Ram: (2)512 ddr Kingston Original

Right now i have it overclocked to, 2.2ghz
                Multiplier 8.5x
                HTT 260mhz
                Voltagee 1.7v

The RAM I set back from 2.8volts, to 2.6volts, and the timings are 5:3, running at 200mhz cpu-z says, and all the other cas latency etc settings are on auto, not to sure if i should change that id rather...

AGP Voltage was 1.6volts, put it back to 1.5volts. AGP Fast Write off, Departure Size(i think thats what its called) 128mb, Search MDA Resources, off

Any comments on these various settings, also another thing when I open CPU-Z i see the cpu voltage go above 1.7volts up to 1.728volts even though I put 1.7 in the bios... Could this mean I need to put the voltage at 1.750volts?

Comment

why does it say not to post replies at the bottom? since im doing it anyway?

Comment

what are you talking about...?

Comment

Turn AGP FastWrites on.

Leave the RAM voltage at 2.8v.

The change in CPU voltage is normal. Power provided by the PSU can fluctuate, and that's within an acceptable range. Plus, the BIOS isn't an accurate way to detect how much voltage goes to anything. Unless you start having instability problems that can't be attributed to anything else, don't worry about it.

Since you're using a 9800 XT, you're going to be GPU-limted by that system. I'd suggest you overclock that. Google ATI Tool and download it. Overclock your card with that, and once you find a reliable setting, save it and change to it every time you game.

Comment

gpu limited? dont understand that...

And sorry thats agp aparture size i was talking about... i have it at 128mb.

Fastwrites on, i thought it should be off to increase performence?

Comment

off increases stability.
                          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                          SC: Audigy 2 zs
                          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

On some systems (mostly older cards on certain chipsets). Turning it on provides a slight (but significant) improvement on Athlon 64 systems.

GPU-limited means that your GPU (graphics processing unit; your video card) is holding you back in games. It isn't poweful enough for your CPU to be utilized anywhere near its full extent.

Comment

so your saying my graphics card is to good right...?

Even if I o/c my processor so lets say 2.4ghz instead of the 2.2 its at now?

By the way the multiplier of 8.5 with a htt of 260, any problems,suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X