MB: ABIT AV8 (VIAK8T800Pro chipset)
    AMD64 3000+ Vinchester
    Leadtek A6600GT
    1GB of PC3200RAM
    160 GB Western Digital SATA Drive
    NEC DVD-RW DL
    Creative Live! 24 Bit

Hope that will be enough info for you to help me

I'm totally new to this overclocking scene, but i saw that you can make this baby run @ 2.4 Ghz with stock cooling. So i want that too . It's far away when my system was able to run latest games with maximum settings :(. So that's why i want to OC.

Please help. I don't want to mess something with my touch to the bios. So tell me what should i change

Re: Need help for a confused guy

CAS Latencys on the ram, and What kind of ram is it? I highly doubt with stock cooling, that you can manage 600MHZ with it. You'd have to drop cas latencys and to 2448 or something close to that to get there and increase voltage. I highly don't recommend doing it if your new to it, espicially to 2.4, It could also render your pc unusable, and it may cause your Windows OS, to blue screen, because of multiple memory bus errors. Creative Sound Cards, To my knowledge, when increasing bus, it increases speed of th PCI slot, when doing so, The card massively gives errors and you can blame creative for that. Search the forums, and or Google for the correct way to do so.

Comment

Well, i got you right. So what would you suggest me for optimal config of RAM speed and highest CPU speed with it

Comment

Originally posted by braiNbug
        Well, i got you right. So what would you suggest me for optimal config of RAM speed and highest CPU speed with it
        I would recommend setting CPU voltage to 1.5 or 1.6, and than changing the HTT multiplied to x9, than over clocking it to 2.2GHZ

Comment

I'm a little confused about what you call HTT multiplier. Is it the same that does this : eg - 9 x 200 Mhz =1800 CPU clock? Correct me if i'm wrong. I have underlined the number which i think is "HTT multiplier". Your help is very useful

Comment

Yes, you have it right. It's not called the "HTT multiplier," because that's not what it is. It's the CPU multiplier. He also seems unaware that socket 939 Athlon 64 3000s have a stock multiplier of 9x.

Also, you can easily manage 2.4Ghz on stock cooling. As long as you have acceptable airflow and a decent power supply, it's no problem. You'd probably want to look into an aftermarket cooler if you were thinking about 2.6-2.7GHz.

As for your RAM, you can either overclock it by increasing voltage and decreasing CAS latency, or you can mess with different CPU:RAM dividers (look for the word divider in the BIOS; it should be under that or something similar) to something that allows you to overclock the CPU without overclocking the RAM. For example, to run it at 2.4GHz, you might try this:
            multiplier of 9
            CPU base clock of 266MHz (should be seen as FSB or HTT in the BIOS)
            RAM:CPU divider of 3:4, or CPU:RAM divider of 4:3 (don't know which way it will be)

Granted, don't just jump to that. Try 2GHz, 2.2GHz, etc. before you get to 2.4Ghz and beyond. You'll want to make sure that your temperatures are acceptable before moving on. You can find your idle temperature in the BIOS, but it would be preferably to put your CPU under full load and test with a software utility in Windows, assuming you don't have a seperate temperature sensor underneath the CPU attached to something else entirely (if you don't know, then you almost surely don't). Generally with Athlon 64s (and most other CPUs, actually), a load temperature should be in the low to mid-40s (celcius, always in celcius). An idle temperature is preferably lower than 40 or in the very low 40s.

Comment

Thank you all guys, specially Yawgm0th who answered the questions that i just needed.

Well, i have two more questions. The Abit AV8 MB uses uGuru to overclock the system. In the bios -> uGuru i see that the divider i want just gives me sth like this : CPU:AGP:PCI. The options are : Fixed (66Mhz), Fixed (74Mhz), 6:2:1, 7:2:1. 8:2:1 or sth like this. So could you give me more detail what is it & what it does?.Also i want to know more about the LDT & Memory. P.S I have a stock AMD Cooler, my PSU is 350W a double sided cooler. One side sucks the air of the case while other throws it out. One side of the case is always opened ( I have some neons on it ). The PC is under the table, far from radiator or sth that is warm. On stock 1.8 Ghz idle temperature is 37C.

I see this forum very helpfull btw
              Last edited by braiNbug; 11-04-2005, 09:39 AM.

Comment

The PCI and AGP should be at fixed (66MHz). If not, the PCI and AGP bus will increase as you overclock, which will cause instability.

Considering the 350W PSU, I doubt you'll get very far overclocking, assuming it's even stabel at stock. If you're lucky, you can get a minor overclock that doesn't involve increasing voltage to anything. If you start increasing voltages, though, you should start to get instability (again, assuming it's not already unstable).

Comment

Thanks yawgm0th. I got what i want, don't have anymore questions. Cheers, braiNbug

Comment

Ok, so i tried the settings you suggested. What i changed was: 1.OC'ed CPU clock to 245Mhz with x9 multiplier which totaly would be = 2205 Total CPU clock. Didn't changed anything. Result = failed. Had to clear CMOS. Tried lowerering values. Only got 2Ghz without problems. As you said. I left it to the Fixed (66Mhz), changed the voltage to 4.75v. Nothing else changed and i only got 2Ghz. Why? Can you help me? Is it my CPU or RAM or MB problem? the temperature of CPU was about 39C with 2Ghz. Please help why i can't go further 2Ghz.

Comment

You likely need to increase the vcore (processor voltage) slightly. You also may need to decrease the HTT multiplier (not the same as the CPU multiplier), which will start at 5x.

Comment

?? Anyone? Are everybody dead? :/

Comment

Uh... look above you...

Comment

I can't find the "HTT multiplier". What if my motherboard doesn't have it?

P.S My internet connection just amazes me that it was so lagged that it didn't show your post where you have replied.....
                            Last edited by braiNbug; 11-07-2005, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Hmm... I don't have an Athlon 64 system of my own yet so I can't tell you what it might be in there. Look around for a value that starts as 5x. It will need to be lowered to 4x and possibly even 3x. But try raising voltage by a small step first.

Comment

Working...
                              X