New to the game...P4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the game...P4

First off id like to say that im an avid reader of this site. There are some truly gifted modders out there (ie. Yawgm0th). you guys have inspired me to try and save some cash by tweakin my pc. So, here goes..

I have a P4 3.0Ghz 512 Cache. 800fsb SocN 478 HT :
    a Seagate 80GB 7200/8MB/S-ATA-150 :
    a Mach Speed X-Caliber PT800DBP motherboard:
    Ultra Dual Channel 512 PC3200 400Mhz (256 per stick that is):
    and a newly aquired Gigabyte GeForce 6600 256MB.

Overall im happy, this plays my mohaa well. The prob is that my BF2 Lags like crazy, when i close the game, task manager says that im still using 350MB of ram!

I don't know much about OC'ing but am willing to try. Is there a way to get more out of my ram without replacing it? Can it be clocked without getting too hot?

I'd really like some advice/direction..

Thnx
    Last edited by Terrorist; 10-26-2005, 11:30 PM.

Re: New to the game...P4

Well i think the ram is what is killing you, but you should try to kill some apps that you dont use. Refer to tweaktown's tweak guides. I haven't heard of your mobo, so i can't help you with overclocking, but i am sure you can get more out of your ram if you place your cpu/ram divider to 5:4 and set the fsb at 5 increment, and usaully p4s are always stable at 250 fsb. But as for bf2, 1 gb of ram is favorable to play, and what settings do you use for bf2?
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

OCing the CPU won't even help you in this case. For BF2, the amount of RAM is more important than the speed (well, usually). With only 512MB, your single greatest limitation is easily your RAM. Your second greatest is your video card, which can be easily overclocked. I'd recommend you head over to www.tweakguides.com and read the nVidia Forceware guide.

As for your RAM usage, I'd guess you have a lot of background applications running. When you open up Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del), how many running processes are there?

And as AsianBatman said, what settings are you using? I could have a 7800GTX with an Athlon 64, but if I tried putting Textures on High with only 1GB of RAM I would have terrible framerates.

Comment

Thank you for the speedy reply guys. I do need more ram, no questions. As for my Bf2 settings , i'll drop them and see if that makes any difference. when i boot up there are 24 process running, which i can whittle down to 17. I always do this before gaming.

Im wondering, is there any software i can use to shut down known processes before launching BF2? Kind of a "One click wonder"?

The mobo can be seen on the Mach Speed website, if you decide to look, take note of the "12Ghz" of ram it supports! lmao, the tech guys there have yet to respond to my email or correct the site. Its funny tho...

When i bought the ram its claimed to be overclocking ram, i guess i had assumed that it could be worked harder. Live and learn.

Thank you for the help, you guys are great!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrorist
          .....Im wondering, is there any software i can use to shut down known processes before launching BF2? Kind of a "One click wonder"?.....
          There is, it is called Enditall2

http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm

More ram is needed to run BF2, I have had it top out at 700 odd MB of ram usage during game play. Less than 1GB and your page file is being used unmercilessly, a lot of people have found (myself included) that 2GB is best

OC your card if you are confident, the main settings on BF2 that seem to cause problems are textures and lighting, try setting them to medium.

What resolution are you running BF2 at?
          E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

I run 1024/768. At 70htz refresh. I did turn the textures and lighting down, it made a little difference, i can now play about three to four rounds before rebooting. We just had a baby 7 months ago, so cash is tight. If its safer to wait for new ram, i guess ill have to do that.

But, if i can't wait, lol, is there a chance ill damage my sound card aswell? Its only a SBA 2 ZS, but i kind of like it!

Comment

I don't think it would damage any hardware, mybe a corupted file but that is still unlikely.
              I think if you switch to 800x600 then you should be fine, and everything else on medium. How big is your pagefile?
              CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
              Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
              RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
              GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
              PSU: Thermaltake 500w
              SC: Audigy 2 zs
              LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
              Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
              Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Um, not sure! Ill see if i can find it. Will increasing it help?

Comment

lol, im such a noob, According to system info...lol :
                  i've got 512mb total physical but only 308 available physical?
                  also 2ghz virtual, 1.96 available virtual and the page file is 1.22Gb. I have no idea if this is good or bad!

Comment

Hey, i just noticed that system info detects two processors? i don't have two P4's! whats this all about?

Comment

You have two logical processors. Your processor has hyperthreading, which means it is an emulated dual-core processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrorist
                        Hey, i just noticed that system info detects two processors? i don't have two P4's! whats this all about?
                        It comes from ocing the cpu. Windows retains the original cpu speed and also displays the oc speed, even after you have removed the oc. Mine reads 3.2 and 3.21, the latter being the oc.
                        E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

No, he has a hyperthreading Pentium 4. The info in Control Panel\System does not determine whether or not you have overclocked. It will list multiple processors, logical or phyiscal, which you and he both have.

Comment

OOOOOOO K I stand corrected then I guess lol

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                              No, he has a hyperthreading Pentium 4. The info in Control Panel\System does not determine whether or not you have overclocked. It will list multiple processors, logical or phyiscal, which you and he both have.
                              OK explain this to me ........

on a fresh install of XP there is only one processor showing in systen info, I oc the cpu, two processors are showing in system info ...... the 3.2 and the oc @ 3.57 or 3.84 same for both, i reduce the oc back to stock, still two processors showing.

Two cpu's do not show up in sys info until I have oc'ed the cpu.

Comment

Working...
                              X