Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get most of my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice E6

Hi Guys,
    I m a new comer on this forum , I want to get most out of my system for games like Doom3, Far Cry or Prince of Persia . My system config. is follows:
    AMD Athlon64 3000+ Venice E6
    MSI K8N Neo4 Ultra Platinum
    Kingston 256X2 MB DDR 400
    Asus GeForce N6600 GT
    400 Watt PSU
    Western Digital 120 GB HDD
    What you ppls suggest to overclock my system in a way so that I can enjoys these games more better.

Thanks in anticipation
    Regards,
    Amjad Aley

Re: how to get most of my AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice E6

Venice 745 right...Multiplier set to 9x...1.8GHz....

I've heard people go up to 2.7GHz on water cooling. But that's on a Winni though.

Set your RAM to 166MHZ instead of the regular 200MHz.
    Set your HTT to 3x-4x.
    Depending on your cooling, up the core voltage also.
    And start upping th FSB 10 MHz at a time.

It's pretty much trial and error. It also depends on the PS and the quality of the RAM.

I used the Core Cell program that came with my MSI Neo2 Plat. I thought it was a good program to start off with. It automatically ups the FSB one MHz at a time.

Comment

Well, actually I have Venice E6 Socket 939, and dont ever have done any OCing to my machine. So is there any basic info document thru I could get start doing it.
      Secondly, Is PSU really matters to do OC ( coz its difficult for me to get a 480 Watt PSU :( ).
      and how to OC'd my GPU as well, do I need to use any software for doing it?

Thnx.

Comment

I highly recommend 1GB (2X512mb) of low latency ram with stock timings as close to 2-2-2-5-T1 as your budget could allow. Other than that, your system should actually overclock rather well. The Venice CPU and that MSI motherboard are a nice combination. Try this:

HT=4
        Set the ram to 166MHz
        Set the Vdimm to 2.75V
        Set the Vcore to around 1.5V

Then up the HTT 5 at a time and see if it will let you get to 2.4-2.5GHz. The stock cooler can handle those speeds and you won't need alot of Vcore either. As for the video card, I think the programs name is CoolBits or look for a Nvidia overclocking program on the web. I am switching to a Nvidia card myself so I may have a better answer on that in a day or two.

Your power supply may not be totally up to the task, but it should allow you some room for overclocking. If you have major stability problems then you may need to get another power supply right away. Either way, don't get another one that is a cheapo. Spend the money on a good unit from Antec, OCZ, or Enermax if you can. It may cost you more, but it will pay for itself.

Try those settings and report back with any more questions you have. You can also look at this guide for overclocking an AMD64 system and it may answer some questions for you as well.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...145&howtoID=58
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thnx,
          I will try these setting for oc.
          BTW I have changed my config. a little bit, Now I have
          AOpen PSU with 450 Watt and
          LeadTeck GeForce 6600 GT video card.Currently my budget not allowing me to upgrade my RAM :( but soon I will do that.
          Just want to know that how long can I keep my system as oc'ed @ let say 2.2 GHz on simple Air cooling for gaming?
          Kingston KVR 2x256 MB DDR 400
          AOpen 450 Watt

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
            I highly recommend 1GB (2X512mb) of low latency ram with stock timings as close to 2-2-2-5-T1 as your budget could allow. Other than that, your system should actually overclock rather well. The Venice CPU and that MSI motherboard are a nice combination. Try this:

HT=4
            Set the ram to 166MHz
            Set the Vdimm to 2.75V
            Set the Vcore to around 1.5V

Then up the HTT 5 at a time and see if it will let you get to 2.4-2.5GHz. The stock cooler can handle those speeds and you won't need alot of Vcore either. As for the video card, I think the programs name is CoolBits or look for a Nvidia overclocking program on the web. I am switching to a Nvidia card myself so I may have a better answer on that in a day or two.

Your power supply may not be totally up to the task, but it should allow you some room for overclocking. If you have major stability problems then you may need to get another power supply right away. Either way, don't get another one that is a cheapo. Spend the money on a good unit from Antec, OCZ, or Enermax if you can. It may cost you more, but it will pay for itself.

Try those settings and report back with any more questions you have. You can also look at this guide for overclocking an AMD64 system and it may answer some questions for you as well.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=get...145&howtoID=58
            Hi, I was busy in some office work so i could not reply before.
            I had tried your method and set those setting and start increasing FSB in 5MHz, but I stuck at 230 MHz (max) which is stable, coz when I try to increase it at 240 MHz my system did not show display and then I reset my BIOS, and again try to reach @ 240 Mhz but the same thing happened.
            Could you plz suggest me what should I do to reach atleast 250 MHz?
            Please Help me ?
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------
            I have AOpen 450 Watt PSU now and this is the best available in my city
            __________________________________________________ _______________
            AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (939) Venice, MSI K8N nForce4 Ultra,
            Kingston 2X256 MB Value RAM, LeadTek nVidia GeForce 6600 GT,

Comment

Did you see your ram timings to be 1:1, or even 5:3 i use myself which puts my ram mhz at 200. I don't have the same processor as you however i found a huge improvement when I put the ram on 5:3.

Another thing is i dont think that psu(the 450) will cause any problems, even though i'm using a 500w one. I suggest switching to a 500w if you can return that 450, and order in if not available.

If you want to get to 250, try lowering the multiplier just one more. Sometimes you might find a multiplier of 9 with 235(or whatever it was), it out performed by a multiplier of 8.5 with 245(or w/e) just an example.

Try different settings and run as many tests as you can, plot it out on a graph and be sure to check the fps your getting in w/e game your tweaking the most for.

GL! Just my 2cents~

Comment

Originally posted by KhaosWolf
                Did you see your ram timings to be 1:1, or even 5:3 i use myself which puts my ram mhz at 200. I don't have the same processor as you however i found a huge improvement when I put the ram on 5:3.

Another thing is i dont think that psu(the 450) will cause any problems, even though i'm using a 500w one. I suggest switching to a 500w if you can return that 450, and order in if not available.

If you want to get to 250, try lowering the multiplier just one more. Sometimes you might find a multiplier of 9 with 235(or whatever it was), it out performed by a multiplier of 8.5 with 245(or w/e) just an example.

Try different settings and run as many tests as you can, plot it out on a graph and be sure to check the fps your getting in w/e game your tweaking the most for.

GL! Just my 2cents~
                Thnx K'Wolf.
                just a little thing I could not find the RAM timings (1:1 or 5:3) in my BIOS. When I lowered down the RAM from 200 Mhz to 166 Mhz there are all the field set to AUTO except one which was 2.5, so could you tell me more about this?

Thnx in Anticipation

Comment

Hi,
                  I have acheived 2205 Mhz from my rig with the following setting in BIOS (BIOS version 1.A0 updated ) on stock HSF.
                  FSB = 245x9, RAM = 133 MHz, HT = 4, VCore = 1.55 and VDIMM = 2.75.
                  run Prime95 for 10 hrs in ran fine.
                  I did not try to go higher than this. coz I m little cofused to do so.
                  Could you guys think I should try a little more than this. or should I change any setting in BIOS before going above?
                  thnx in anticipation.
                  __________________________________________________ _______________
                  AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (939) Venice, MSI K8N nForce4 Ultra,
                  Kingston 2X256 MB Value RAM, LeadTek nVidia GeForce 6600 GT,

Comment

Working...
                  X