sony vaio fs15lp overclock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sony vaio fs15lp overclock

my pentium mobile/intel 915pm chipset was 1.6gig at default. I oced it to 1.8. Ran couple of games and no problems.. but I was thinking..wouldn't it be dangerous to oc a notebook? Anyways..being the big ***** that I am, I reverted my notebook back to 1.6.... Is there any way to know if 1.8gig is a safe setting without damaging my system. I am fully aware that ocing reduces the computer's lifespan and as long as the damage isn't too significant, I am willing to sacrifice for the extra mhz. I did run some benchmarks after OCing and the difference shown from the benchmark test was only 9% increase in the CPU performance. I am a newbie at OCing... is that a significant performance increase? Thanks. (2 questions..)

Re: sony vaio fs15lp overclock

I do not think you oc'ed your laptop, what exactly did you do? I think all you did was turn on a setting that allowed your cpu to run at its full potential with out saving battery life in mind.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

umm.. no.. i oced my laptop. I used setfsb to OC it to 1.8.

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
        I do not think you oc'ed your laptop, what exactly did you do? I think all you did was turn on a setting that allowed your cpu to run at its full potential with out saving battery life in mind.
        Now there's the helpful hint of the day.

Anyhow, the only real issue you need to be aware of when overclocking is heat and heat buildup. Make sure there is plenty of airflow around the bottom of your laptop and find a way to monitor the temps. If it stays low (under 50C) you should have no issues. And the Pentium M processors are known to run cool, so heat should not be an issue with that minimal overclock. You will not shorten the life of the processor by much at only a 9% overclock. If you were pushing a 50% overclock, well then you may shorten it's life somewhat. Try bumping it up little by little and monitor the heat of the CPU and chassis (if there is a way to get readings). If you use it at home mostly and intend on overclocking it only at home, look for a laptop cooler. THey are basically a laptop stand with some fans directing airflow up into the vents on the bottom of your laptop,
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
        Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
        Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate
        Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Thanks case... but how do i get the temp reading on my notebook? Yeah I was thinking about getting a laptop cooler. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter
            Now there's the helpful hint of the day.
            What is that suppose to mean?
            CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
            Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
            RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
            GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
            PSU: Thermaltake 500w
            SC: Audigy 2 zs
            LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
            Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
            Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by sr87dot62
              umm.. no.. i oced my laptop. I used setfsb to OC it to 1.8.
              you have DDR1 or DDR2 memory in your laptop? i'm sure placing a DDR400 module DDR1 instead of the factory DDR333 would make it possible to go higher.

Comment

DOOOD!!! you juss answered my question why my computer wouldnt oc over 1.8 gig thanks dood.. Time to throw this ddr ram away.

Comment

Working...
                X