Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking GPU/Video Card

Good day to all of you!

Anybody pls help... I would try to overclock my gpu because right now I don't have the budget to buy a new and faster gpu.

This are my questions:

1) If OCing an agp card... thus the voltage in the agp slot goes up as well? If so... what's the maximum safe voltage that I should maintain?
    2) After getting the maximum oc speed of the gpu... Can I save the gpu oc setting through flashing card? (GPU is modified with heatsinks including the memories)...
    Or the settings will just be saved through COOLBITS?
    3) Is there a way to hardcode or retain the coolbits settings the you've just tested?

Re: Overclocking GPU/Video Card

1- You generally son't want to raise the AGP voltage much. It doesn't have as rastic an effect on your overclocking as it does for memory and processor.

2- If you flash the board to try to permanently retain speeds, you'll have problems if there comes a time that you want to RMA the device. Also, not all machines will run the board at the fastest settings that another board might be happy with. Just set Coolbits so that it remembers the settings and applies them at bootup and you'll be fine.

3- As above
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      1- You generally son't want to raise the AGP voltage much. It doesn't have as rastic an effect on your overclocking as it does for memory and processor.

2- If you flash the board to try to permanently retain speeds, you'll have problems if there comes a time that you want to RMA the device. Also, not all machines will run the board at the fastest settings that another board might be happy with. Just set Coolbits so that it remembers the settings and applies them at bootup and you'll be fine.

3- As above
      Thanks for the tip Darthtanion! Also, I don't have a clue on what's the average overclock speed? Is it 110%, 115%, 120%....?

By the way the clock speed of the core is 350mhz and for the memory is 400mhz. Do you have any idea on what's the ideal overclock ratio?

Comment

Sorry for this kind of questions. Im a newbie in overclocking GPUs.

Comment

There isn't really a set level for overclocking as all boards are different. As a rule, overclock the core first in small increments until you get minor artifacts, then back it off a few MHz. Then do the same for the memory with the same guidelines. Artifacts are simply graphical glitches that mar the dispaly and mean that you've set the speed a bit too high. If you're using Coolbits, make sure the checkbox for using the settings at bootup are disabled until you get to a stable overclocked speed, THEN feel free to clcik the box and enable the settings at system boot. Otherwise you'll find yourself having to enter Safemode when you go too far and then reboot to try to try again.
          My Toys

Comment

There isn't really a set level for overclocking as all boards are different. As a rule, overclock the core first in small increments until you get minor artifacts, then back it off a few MHz. Then do the same for the memory with the same guidelines. Artifacts are simply graphical glitches that mar the dispaly and mean that you've set the speed a bit too high. If you're using Coolbits, make sure the checkbox for using the settings at bootup are disabled until you get to a stable overclocked speed, THEN feel free to clcik the box and enable the settings at system boot. Otherwise you'll find yourself having to enter Safemode when you go too far and then reboot to try to try again.
            Thanks again dude!

I have more questions... If it's ok? What GPU do you think is the best for Video Editing? (Including Transcoding mpegs). I currently have an AGP slot. Don't have a PCI-E. And also What model of GPU do you know that's not to costly? Is it good in OCing GPUs? What brand and model do you suggest?

Thanks in advance again dude!

Comment

When it comes to video editing, the system plays more of a role over the video board. About the only thing you'd have to take into consideration is if you're doing CAD work or actual video compilations with 3d imaging programs. These can make better use of a specialized video board, but normal editing should be fine in whatever type card suits your normal needs.

That said, there are many boards to recommend but an idea as to what kind of budget we're talking would be helpful.
              My Toys

Comment

When it comes to video editing, the system plays more of a role over the video board. About the only thing you'd have to take into consideration is if you're doing CAD work or actual video compilations with 3d imaging programs. These can make better use of a specialized video board, but normal editing should be fine in whatever type card suits your normal needs.

That said, there are many boards to recommend but an idea as to what kind of budget we're talking would be helpful.
                I thinks roughly 220 dollars. What do you recommend?
                Last edited by dbomb; 08-06-2005, 09:32 AM.

Comment

And also, What brand do you prefer? Available trusted brand here in the Philippines are Asus and Inno3d only.

What gpu do you prefer for OC?

Would you recommend adding additional 1gb of memory? I currently have 1 gb of DDR400. Dual channel still of course. Would you know if this would have a big effect on video transcoding/convertion?

Thanks in advance again!
                  Last edited by dbomb; 08-06-2005, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure what your prices are like there for components, but that price range in the US will get you something in the line of a ATI branded X800Pro or a nVidia 6800 (non-GT, non-Ultra). Either are excellent boards and should overclock well.

As for brands, I like Sapphire since they generally work well out of the box and have enough headroom to allow for reasonably good overclocking.

1GB memory should do well for now. Even with video editing functions, you shouldn't run into trouble.
                    My Toys

Comment

Hello to all! Does anyone here knows about Geil DDR400s. I've been searching the web but my question is not yet answered. I'm looking for a geil utt winbound memory. Is Geil GE5123200BSC an utt winbound? Pls help!

Comment

Mabuhay sir! How's the the RP?

When it comes to good memory, I prefer Corsair XMS or OCZ. Good quality and I use it always when I overclock.

As for the Geil GE5123200BSC, I read that this is Value RAM. Sorry to say this but for OC'ing, not really great. I guess for regular PC apps it should be ok.

Comment

does anybody here know what can a 6600LE agp card reach at tweaking??

Comment

Working...
                          X