Pentium M Overclock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium M Overclock?

I'll be getting an XPS Gen2 in mid April and was just wondering if anyone has had any success overclocking the Pentium M. They wanted $300 for the 2.0 to 2.13 upgrade and thought I might be able to get the 130mhz, or more, with a simple FSB adjustment.

Thanks for any info!

BTW, The XPS uses a 915PM chipset.

Re: Pentium M Overclock?

I might be able to get the 130mhz, or more, with a simple FSB adjustment
    Not on a Dell mobo.

Comment

What is different on a Dell? I'm sure the BIOS is locked, but I was thinking about a software(ie. softFSB) adjustment.

Comment

Possably but I wouldent expect anything near what whould be possable through bois OC or expect that amount of OC to do much if anything.

Comment

i overclocked my dell 8600 2.0 dothan to 2.3

i used a software called setfsb and used the one for thinkpad x31

33 second super pi to 1 million
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rangerone7669; 03-05-2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rangerone7669

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Just curious, have you tried going higher than 2.3?

And have you noticed any higher temps from the OC?

Comment

yes i have gotten up to about 2.6@130 mhz fsb but the computer wasnt totally stable it would not run super pi at that speed some box would pop up that said non divergent out of sq or something wierd like that.
              I usually run 2.3@115mhz fsb with speedstep set to dynamic switching and it fly's(remember the whole bus is running faster, so that is hard drive, memory,ect)
              At 2.3 my temps are 1-2 degrees celcius warmer idles at 45c. typing this and a few web pager open 47c
              BUT my heat sink is from an 8500 with a p4m. it weighs almost two times the factory heat sink i took out.cost me $19 with shipping off ebay. I guess the p4m needed more cooling, but used smaller ones with the pentium m.
              also did the heat mod on the graphics card, used a piece of copper instead of the foam heat putty dell used. that helped soo much, the gpu used to get over 100c on far cry now 75c huge gain. the cpu and gpu both have Arctic Silver ceramique that I used.
              my memory was tweaked with a program that can change memory timings called 1TW855(below zip file) i run 2-3-3-6 works fiine
              2-2-2-6 overclocked= crash BSOD
              2-2-2-5 not oveclocked is fine
              possibly pc3200 would let us run tighter timings
              anymore questions just ask

dell 8600 pentium m 755 2.0
              1 gig pc2700
              ati 9600 pro turbo
              toshiba GAX60gig 5400 16mb cache
              Attached Files

Comment

screenie
                Attached Files

Comment

one morei dont know what the bottom buttons do but the top 4 sure help alot with benchmarks
                  let me know how your overclock goes
                  Attached Files

Comment

You must have tolerant devices if they handled AGP\PCI frequencies that high

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
                      You must have tolerant devices if they handled AGP\PCI frequencies that high
                      Dell has not used any serial devices (SATA) that I know of, which are quite a bit more sensitive to any OCing when compared to parallel.

115 from 100 fsb is a good OC, but not uncommon by any means.

rangerone, I'm hoping the setfsb works with the 955pm chip, they only had files for the 855PM and 915p/925xe. Maybe they'll have one by my delivery date of mid April. But I will definitely post my results.

AS-5 on everything will be my first mod. My old pavilion P3 750 CPU fan doesn't even turn on at idle/surfing any longer, where it used to run slow, only stopping once in a while at idle!

Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by rangerone7669

How did you get that to work on your 8600? I have a 8600 which id love to tweak a bit, but cant get anything to modify the FSB, i tried Clockgen, and it runs but doesnt change anything (at least nothing that CPU-Z sees) and SetFSB crashes, says Pill Error when i try to Get FSB..
                        Any info/help?
                        Thanks

Comment

Well I've had my XPS for about two weeks, it's quite nice! Although the 512 proved to not be enough for the games I play (they wanted $200 for 2x512 and $750 for 2 gigs!) I have a one gig stick in the mail(for $175) and will eventually get another.

I have tried many different overclocking softwares with no success. It seems I'll just have to wait till they come out with 915pm support. Thanks for all the help though, at least I now know that the pentium M will overclock relatively well and be stable with air cooling.

Comment

Drumroll please, after contact with Abo of setfsb he came up with a new generator on his website which you might be interested in.

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

There is a chance it wont work in which case you need to email him and if all goes well in 2 days you will have one that works

benchmarks:

05: 2074

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=752998

03: 4724

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3877297

2k1: 16444

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8521500

PC04: 4682

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm04=2906316

superpi: 34 seconds http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/Meaks/pi2.jpg

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X