overclocking SLI mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking SLI mobo

hello all i got a question as i have never done any overclocking but am lookin to try on next comp. im lookin at building a comp around the Asus A8V SLI Deluxe mobo with a 4000+ proc with a pair of 6800 vid cards. my question is how well does that proc, mobo, and vid cards take to OC'ing? Will i need to go with water cooling or will a very good air cooling setup work? And how big of a PSU should i put in that?
    I am currently in Kuwait on deployment but should be back in the spring so i got room for changing ideas on mobo and proc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated thanx

Re: overclocking SLI mobo

Water will always gove better cooling than air but at a price. It is also quieter for the level of cooling you get. It won't be necessary, but since I changed over, I'm hooked.

As to overclocking, you'll use the mainboard for overclocking the system itself (processor, memory speed) and a utility of some kind to overclock the video boards. I'm not sure how the new PCI-E bus will handle overclocking of the system, but I'd guess that there is most likely a way to lock it at a set speed. This is the best approach since that way the video card running out of spec on the bus itself won't limit your overclocking. Asus generally makes a good overclockable motherboard but their service is reportedly terrible if you ever have to RMA the thing. Depends on your desires and your level of experience.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
      Depends on your desires and your level of experience.
      the only prob is that i have never had the time or known anyone to show me how to OC. and the comp i have know is a bought Emachines with amd 3200+ and MSI mobo. but id love to be able to turn the graphis on SWG WAAAAYY up and still run smooth. would like to do the same with half life 2 when i get out of the FREAKIN sand box.

Comment

There are several guides available for overclocking. The last one I did was for the AthlonXP processors but the general techniques are still valid and the theories behind it as well. You can check it out here if you like. As I said, it is a bit dated so some of the exact settings within BIOS are not named the same way but you should be able to figure things out once you get inside the BIOS.

Out of curiosity, are you married or living in BEQs? If single, you should have a nice chunk of change reflected on your LES to play with when you get back Stateside (at least I always did when I was doing the combat tours when single). Just a question asked out of curiosity so don't feel compelled to answer if you'd prefer not to.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

Working...
        X