Lowered 3DMark01SE score after OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered 3DMark01SE score after OC

Ok. so I was just OC'ed my computer for fun. well, not fun but... you know. just to see. so... Normally, with AF and AA all the way up with 3DMark01SE in Realtime priority, I get 16382. Now that I OC'ed to 3150.5mhz and changed the timing of my RAMs to 2.3.2.8, I get 5628. so... is this because I changed the timings in my RAMs? Before when I only OC the processor, my score was higher than 16382, not lower.

EDIT:Opps typo, I got 16,110. 16,382 was when I turn AA and AF off.
    Last edited by jd53887; 07-27-2004, 03:06 PM.

Re: Lowered 3DMark01SE score after OC

I'm a bit skeptical about scoring 16K+ with AA/AF settings all the way up regardless of your memory timings. Default testing doesn't use either of these features so I'm betting that was how you originally tested.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

When overclocking that setup of your's that PC2700 memory that's a bottleneck at stock speed becomes an even greater one as you increase CPU speed. Get some good PC3200 or higher rated memory and do the test at default settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion
        I'm a bit skeptical about scoring 16K+ with AA/AF settings all the way up regardless of your memory timings. Default testing doesn't use either of these features so I'm betting that was how you originally tested.
        Ok, I dont know how to answer this. Um... Ok, I'll just retype what I did. Before OC'ing and RAM thingy, I turn all the AF and AA off and I got 16,382. When I turn it on, I got 16,110. I know 3DMark01SE doesn't use AA and AF because it says it doesn't before each test. The score doesn't lie though.

Originally posted by wayout44
        When overclocking that setup of your's that PC2700 memory that's a bottleneck at stock speed becomes an even greater one as you increase CPU speed. Get some good PC3200 or higher rated memory and do the test at default settings.
        I know that I should get better RAMs already. I just wanted to know why the score went down. So what you're saying is that because my RAMs suck, increasing the the CPU which makes the computer faster tries to force the RAMs to go faster, but the RAMs can't so then it becomes a problem resulting in a lower score?

Comment

Ok. BIG Problem. I can't get it to get to go that high anymore. It won't go 16K+. It is staying in the 5K. OMG help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, btw, maybe I should have mention this. I installed Rage3D, well my friend did w/o my permission thinking he could really make it go faster. Anyways, he did it, and OC the graphic card. I tried Farcry to see if my fps increased. It didn't so we uninstalled it. Then I did the 3DMark01SE. Well, I change everything back to normal and now it wont go over 5K in the 3DMark.

Comment

Your AA/Af is off right, because thats the only problem i see that can cause your score to be that low. Whats your system specs anyway?
            CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
            Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
            RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
            GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
            PSU: Thermaltake 500w
            SC: Audigy 2 zs
            LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
            Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
            Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
              Your AA/Af is off right, because thats the only problem i see that can cause your score to be that low. Whats your system specs anyway?
              I dont see why I have to turn the AA/AF off. Before when it was on, I got 16,110. I'll do it tomorrow anyways. My system specs? Um.. you mean the desciption of my computer, like in my sig?

Comment

For some reason i can't see your sig. Edit nvm, haven't been here for a long time so didn't know the options had to be enabled. Well try turning them off.
                Last edited by AsianBatman; 07-28-2004, 04:28 AM.
                CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                SC: Audigy 2 zs
                LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Ok. Just did the testes again. With em on, I get bout 5K. With em off, I get bout 15K-16K. I swear to all of you, before I had only a 400 point difference only when it was on n off. Is there any reason why the score is so different between then and now?

Comment

It sounds as if the settings changes did not take for whatever reason. Now you can see why I was skeptical at the beginning of your post. A 400 point difference can be garnered when running the test without changing settings as it is only a bit over 2% difference in score.
                    My Toys

Comment

I know you were skeptical... Maybe I did make a mistake... Well, is the score for the AA/AF turn all the way up normal?

Comment

I don't generally play around with the benchmarks with AA/AF turned all the way up, but I'll run some tests this evening and see how they turn out on my system. I generally score in the mid 17s on my system and have a 9800 Pro board, so when I get finished testing another external hard drive device I'll run some 3dMark runs with AA/AF enabled and post the results.
                        My Toys

Comment

Thx a bunch

Comment

I think it could be because you have to set FSAA and ANISO on in both, 3DMark AND in display properties.

Comment

I didn't have quite as much a dropoff as you did, but the change in scores are still very significant. I scored 17,126 with default settings in place and it dropped to 9,567 when I cranked up the settings to AAx6/AFx16. You can see my full system specs by clicking the link in my sig if you'd like to compare.
                              My Toys

Comment

Working...
                              X