oc prescott 2.4ghz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oc prescott 2.4ghz

I've seen the new 2.4ghz/533mhz "baby" prescott is now available for about $150 US. What's the OC potential for this chip? 2.8 sounds easy and 3.0 achievable, but could it really hit 3.2 or 3.4 or more?:confused:

If ya get anything less than a 800QDR FSB (200MHz x 4 = 800QDR) version then ya also I've yet to hear of a 2.4GHz/533QDR Prescott, as far as I'm aware Presotts start with the 2.8E 800QDR FSB (if ya have a link to what ya mentioned then please provide it but I think someone is havin' ya on). If ya really want some bight then a 2.4C (800QDR FSB) will cost about $160us and overclock to between 3GHz and 3.5GHz on air depending on the HSF used and how lucky ya are.

Comment

They are making the Prescott in a 533mhz model. I read about it in a MaximumPC mag.

Comment

If they do then ya'd still be much better off with a 2.4C and its 800QDR FSB as it'll still be much quicker as same speed C's compared to E's are faster (Prescotts have more pipline stages thus slowin' them down over similar speed Northwoods) and the 533QDR FSB wouldn't theoretically be much better than a 2.4B other than the larger L2 cache. Another question would be, is Hyperthreading enabled on them?

Comment

The prescott 533's will be 512k l2 cache, with HT

Comment

Here's Intel's spec page for the Prescott based 2.4A with 533mhz FSB and 1MB cache. It's availabe now from most US retailers (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=343&depa=0).

I know that when used as intended it's going to be rather wimpy, but it seems it could be a real demon with the right tweaking.

Comment

Wiggo is right.(as usual) The prescotts offer no perfomance gain over existing P4's. Intel will have to raise the clock speeds to take advantage of the longer pipeline. This is probably why they chose to stay with the P4 name. Even though It's a new chip with new instruction sets.

Comment

Working...
              X