help a noob to OC :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help a noob to OC :)

Your motherboard uses the KT600 chipset from VIA? If so then it isn't a great overclocker to begin with. But you might try raising the VCore about 0.10 above default and raise the memory voltage to 2.7 or 2.8v
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

i managed to get it 2400Mhz by raising the multiplier and the vcore by 5% and the Dimm by 0.2v.

Can i push it further and can anyone give me some tips?
      btw: is there a way i can burn my cpu. can anyone tell me how can this occur?

Thanks

Comment

Though the specific methods are a bit dated, the process of overclocking is still the same. Try checking this out and see if it can get you on the right track. Once you have the knowledge, the rest is simple trial and error. :D
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

thanks for the help so far :)

But im still getting a problem. My pc is running at 2400Mhz and EVERYTHING works perfect except the graphical applications, such as games and 3DMark. It would be a real pity if i have to go back to 2300Mhz or 2200 Mhz cos i can really see a difference :(

Can anyone help plz.
          Thanks in advance...

Comment

Just try testing from 2.3 up to 2.4 by 3-5Mhz increments, risky to take it up 100Mhz at a time like you are doing. Keep increasing by small increments and test stability with 3DMark. If theres no lock-ups or crashes... then keep increasing until you finally do crash. Thats when you stop, just before a lock up or crash...:cheers:

Comment

im doing it by the multiplier. If i increase it by small incriments it crashes after i increase 60 Mhz :( When i do it by the multiplier it runs perfectly after i increase it by 100 Mhz. I know it doesnt make sense, but thats hot it goes :p

Comment

The crash with the FSB wouldnt be caused by the processor, but prolly ure memory.:cheers:

Comment

is there a way i can check if my memory is good or not?

Comment

Yor memory is "good" if it works. But when you increase the FSB to a higher speed, the memory might not work at all. Thats when the better memory (like Corsair, Kingston, ect) comes into play, by being able to oporate at higher FSB speeds. If you increased the FSB 60Mhz, and you crashed, then and you increased you multiplyer and took it up 100Mhz, than it is your memory. So 1.) Either use multiplyer to overclock or 2.) Buy some better memory with heatsinks on it (Dual channel if possible). You would most likely be able to reach higher speeds overclocking with multiplyer with new, better memory as well. (And always lock your PCI and AGB slots before increasing FSB):cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by tacos4me
                      2.) Buy some better memory with heatsinks on it (Dual channel if possible).
                      A dual channel memory kit won't help him on a single channel KT600 based mobo.

Comment

missed the chipset...

Comment

Originally posted by tacos4me
                          missed the chipset...
                          Just don't make of point of not fully ready the thread b4 ya post. ;)

ldjalal what is the brand and model number of ya memory? :?:

Comment

I think i found a problem. I cannot lock the AGP and the PCI slots on my motherboard. Maybe that is what causes the crashes. Anyways im going to sell my MB and buy an MSI MB based on the NForce 2 chipset.

Btw my memory is Nanya Technology DDR-SDRAM PC3200 512x2

Comment

205MHz wouldn't be near enough to push those 2 buses far enough out of spec to give ya any probs (215+ is where ya likely to have that prob) but Nanya is known for havin' tight ratings so maybe that's ya prob.

Comment

Working...
                              X