No announcement yet.

PC3700 or PC3200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think it was 3500 or 3700 because i was looking for ram to use with overclocking so they said i needed atleast this for headroom

Comment

i think it was 3500 or 3700 because i was looking for ram to use with overclocking so they said i needed atleast this for headroom
      sometimes it isnt worth it for ****ty timings though. Most pc3200 is pretty good for hitting high speeds even without giving it some extra juice. mine hit 220mhz with no juice when i was just playing around with it, never tested it higher but im sure it would go a bit higher.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Murak
          So, what to do? Go for total 512 with cas3 @ 466 buss speed, total 512 with cas2 @ 400 mhz buss speed or 1 gig with cas2.5 @ 400 mhz buss speed??
          With an AthlonXP CAS2 PC3200-PC3500 is what I'd recommend but don't go above PC3500 as ya'll be wastin' money and gettin' poorer timings on something that ya can't exploit anyway.

Comment

*hick* That whas a fast reply, buddy! So low latency is the way to go huh? After some browsing I saw that the Corsair TWINX 2x256Mb (tot. 512Mb) DDR PC3200 CAS2 400Mhz kit is not that expensive (about 145 eurodollars) I gues 512 meg will have to do for now. I like the Black Heatsink :) Btw, what happens if I upgrade with one stick of Corsair cas2 512 in the future? No more Dual DDR? And why does AMD boards just have 3 slots for ram?

Comment

I suggest ya get the 2 x 512MB and as to why 3 slots I have no idea but some mobo's can use all 3 in dual channel mode while others just revert to single channel mode.

Comment

I was not sure about these "noname" banks if they would work in AMD systems, couse there were no Original-sign. But I asked them and they said they would work in DualDDR in an AMD system, so that is proboably the way to go. But, what does your experience tell you; is it worth the extra money to go from cas2.5 to cas2? I have a feeling it is not, I only get half the ram then.

Now, the motherboard. I will proboably get DFI Lanparty rev.B couse I have been reading alot about it and it seems that it is the best. But then theres the whole "bangperbuck" idea.. I will not overclock THAT much so I may settle for a cheaper nForce2 Ultra board. Maby one of these:
                Abit AN7 (pro. its Abit)
                Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
                EPoX EP-8RDA3+
                Gigabyte GA-7N400 (pro. it has 4 ram slots)
                Thay all cost about the same and all have sata raid (WD Raptor :lips: ) But then again, DFI is so darn cute +all the extras I get with it. Personal thoughts?

Feel free to move the thread to an apropriet forum.

Comment

No its not necessary to get CAS2 but there are performance gains to be had with it [I like performance] and I'm an EPoX man myself in most cases [especially where AMD is concerned].

Comment

cas 2, 3200
                    if you r going to oc then 3500 or relax your cas2 3200.
                    i bought 3500 mushkin the reason being cas2 3200 was going up in price, but the 3500 was staing the same price. also the majority of 3500 mem is the best 3200 memory, [they pick the best]so i lowered the speed of my 3500 to 3200 and set cas to cas2,2,2,6. working great will have benchmarks soon concerning mem timings and oc
                    k6-2 .and . . . AMD 64bit|3.2,1G[2326],9800xt [both died] miss my 500 K's
                    recycled from the trash [and in use]
                    2 = 945G chipset boards 2G Celeron and dual Pentium
                    3 = AM-37 FIK motherboards 2-2.6 G
                    in storage 810/815 chipset P3's 800MHZ[4setup and +? not]

Comment

What would you recommend for a person trying to oC' there p4 2.4 "C" to the max?

Comment

Well my 2.4C is at 3.24GHz (270MHz FSB but standard Intel HSF holdin' it back atm) with older XMS3500 modules at 5:4 (216MHz and 2-2-2-5).

Comment

A suggestion for ya. Stay away from the gigabyte board I just jerked mine out and replaced it with the epox 8rda3+. Much more stable and all the readings like temp,voltages and such are way off on the gigabyte board where the epox hits really close to home. Also with the gigabyte board you will be limited in what kind of hsf you use unless you want to bend capacitors. Plus the epox overclocking features are alot better than the gigabyte's. With the gigabyte you overclock by percentages like 10-35% on the vcore isntead of .25 incremennts. If you go with the epox make sure to dl the new nforce drivers from nvidia thou :D

Comment

Working...
                          X