Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how important is good ram for overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how important is good ram for overclocking?

Hey guys, it's been awhile!

I just got myself an xp 2500+ and want to overclock it, but I'm worried about my memory. I have regular samsung 2700 ram--not the cheap-o ram, but not the super-fast ram either.

With this in mind, and looking at the rest of my system specs, would I be ok for oc'ing to 3000+ speeds?

and what happens if I overdo it? Ages back, when I tried overclocking my old Pentium 300 or something like that, it corrupted my hard drive every time. ...and i don't want to do that...

No promises, but it might make it. Just give it a go and see what happens. Worst case will likely just be a reset of the CMOS settings if it doesn't take.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Ya hard drive corruption came from the fact that ya PCI bus was runnin' faster than the 33MHz that it was suspose to and with ya current setup ya'll run that same chance again. Ya should get to about 180MHz FSB though b4 the PCI bus gets to out of wack and ya memory may also get that far though ya may have to relax the timings but if I remember rightly ya won't be able to increase the voltage to the memory with that mobo. Good luck.

Comment

hm, I think you're right about not being able to increase the memory voltage--it's an older board (at least, in computer years).

...and I don't think I have an unlocked 2500 anyway, so I'll try increasing the fsb to as close to 180 as I can get when i get home.

I should swap my mobo with my wife's a7n8x when she's not looking... :p

I'm still afraid of hard drive corruption...

Comment

"I should swap my mobo with my wife's a7n8x when she's not looking"

YEAH DO IT!!!!! bloody good m/b. :cheers:

Comment

Working...
          X