The next step!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next step!

Now I've added a half-decent grafix card to my set up I would really like to tease a few extra horses outta my CPU (set up as in my sig) but unfortunately I'm real wet behind the ears when it comes to such technical modifications (as you can probably tell ;)).

Would anyone like to point me in the right direction?

On the spot with the info again Wiggo - Nice one buddy!

I checked out the process for speeding up the FSB clock - I've raised the value within the BIOS to 220mhz but it's made no difference to the CPU clock speed - it's still running at 1466mhz.

I checked out the manual for my MoBo and I've juggled the SWI switches to give me a theoretical multiplier of 12x but alas my processor obviously needs bridging before that'll take effect.

Shouldn't the FSB clock alteration at least be making some difference to my CPU?

Comment

Ya'll need to unlock the CPU b4 ya can manipulate the multiplier with that mobo and ya won't be able to get that chipset of your's to that sort of FSB speed (around 145MHz is all). Obviously the BIOS ignored the settin' that you entered for the FSB as it doesn't support AGP/PCI dividers above 133MHz.

Comment

The area of BIOS where I entered the new FSU clock speed was inviting speeds of between 133 and 250 for some reason - I owrked my way up from 135 to 220 without any effect whatsoever on my CPU clock.

I eventually resorted to putting in 250 and my machine locked so I had to clear CMOS in order to get the thing going again.

Surely there's gotta be some way of squeezing a few extra horses outta my CPU? :confused:

Comment

Ya mobo might be like some ASUS boards where a jumper or dipswitch must be moved b4 the actual BIOS settin's will work so just check ya mobo's manual out about that.

Comment

There is a jumper on the mobo which allows you to switch between 100mhz in the on position and 133mhz in the off - do you think that may need switching to 100mhx before the adjustments kick in?

Comment

No , wiggo means a jumper or a switch for automatic/manual. That jumper you are refering to is for older cpu's to run @100x2 instead of 133x2 which is the stock fsb for yours and xp's up to xp2400 or xp2600(very rare).
              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
              asus a7n8xe-dlx
              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
              bfg 6800gt
              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
              samsung dvdrw
              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
              seagate sataII 500gb
              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
              samsung sata dvd-rw
              2x1024 ocz black
              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

I've done a detailed search of my manual and the online manuals for sign of such a jumper switch but there literally isn't one.

The only jumper present is the one which switches the FSB clock between 100mhz and 133mhz.

I've made all the necessary changes within BIOS to "theoretically" effect an FSB overclock but my CPU is still running at 1466mhz. Is there a trick I'm missing out on or will it simply be a case of the multiplier being the only value I can mess with?

Comment

Ok I not real sure what's goin' on there but when ya raise the FSB do ya have the multiplier dipswitches in the Auto position or set to the multiplier of 11? :?:

Comment

The dipswitches *have* been set in the auto position but since last night I have tried them set at the 11, 11.5, 12 and 12.5 in an effort to see if it would make any difference to the procedure.

According to the physical and online manuals and all the advice I've had and research I've done, everything I've changed should've made a difference to the FSB clock speed but for some reason it hasn't.

Like I said the only reaction I've had was when I set the clock speed to 250 and my machine froze - I had to clear CMOS to get it going again.

Comment

A quick question 4 ya Wiggo.

Now I've sorted out my FSB increase is my PC2100 memeory holding me back from pushing it further and if so what do I do about it?

Cheers buddy:thumb:

Comment

I could be as PC2700 is what I would've used in that setup.

Comment

Working...
                        X