Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob: Can't OC XP 2600+ system

Hello all-

I am a complete newbie to OC'ing, although I am a computer expert. In June, I purchased an Athlon XP 2600+, an Epox 8RDA3+, and a 512MB stick of Corsair CMX512-3200C2PT memory. I bought a new HSF and an Antec case w/ 450W ps. Plenty of cooling, the processor runs at 39 degrees at normal settings.

My problem is that I cannot OC this machine at all. The heat is not an issue, but Windows XP freaks out on me. It is a clean install (happened in both the previous install and this new, clean one.) XP typically reboots during the initial splash screen when I have the settings turned up.

Any ideas? I have read the AMD OC Guide and this did not help. I also searched for this processor on this board with no luck. Both the mobo and XP are fully updated. I also have an ATI 9600XT vid card that I wouldn't mind tweaking as well.

It sounds like ya runnin' the CPU at its 166MHz (333DDR) FSB but have ya memory runnin' at its SPD of 200MHz (400DDR) and if this is so then that's where ya havin' probs. Either bring the memory speed back to that of the CPU's native FSB and try again or increase the CPU's voltage by 0.1v and drop the multiplier to 10-10.5 then raise its FSB to 200MHz to match that of the memory.

Comment

What I have right now (working) is the default settings for a 2600+ - 166Mhz FSB with its default multiplier. Memory runs at Default speed, which is 100% of FSB. When I have problems is when I pump up the FSB to 200Mhz and try a 10x or so multiplier. I have also tried bumping up the core voltage to 1.7x with no noticable stability increase. I still have room to bump it up higher heat wise, so is this all that is needed?

Comment

Well my XP2600+ runs 1.75v at 11.5 x 200MHz but then not all CPU's are the same. I havn't found one yet that won't do 10 x 200MHz but there's always a first time I guess. :shrug:

Comment

Working...
        X