Modest scores ?? Gotta do betta :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modest scores ?? Gotta do betta :)

My scores: 3DMark03 - 4836, CPU 683 and Aquamark03 - 25 440, GFX 2 919 and CPU 5 618.

SYSTEM Spec:
    P4 2.80C @ 3.08GHz (Stock cooling)
    MSI 875p NEO board - vCore 1.55v/FSB 220v/AGP 1.6v/RAM 2.7v
    MSI FX5900 128 (431/901 clocks) 44.03 Dets
    XP pro
    2 x 256Mb Transcend RAM 2,5 - 3 - 3 - 8 (Crappy stuff?)
    Maxtor SATA 80GB 7200rpm
    AOpen CDR/RW 52/24/52
    300W Power Supply
    + standard other stuff

CPU temp runs up to 59C ?? and GPU to 45C

I believe there's plenty of room for improvement here, especially in graphic drivers(52.13 Dets ?), RAM quality, Power supply increase and cooling !!

Please comment guys - Soulburner in particular :-))

That's decent but even my 2.4 @ 3.0 could beat that, and thats a few less mhz than you, and on a slower board (865). 3DMark03 CPU was bout 710 or so. Turn it up to 3300+ its over, my Aquamark 3 CPU score is 10,800+ and GFX 6,900+. The difference is going to be my CPU at a higher FSB and maybe RAM timings.

CPU is getting too hot - I would recommend better cooling it you want to take it higher.

Use the 44.03s for 3DMark01, anything 45.23 or newer for 3DMark03 (you will see a very large difference), and 51.75 or newer for Aquamark 3 (again, huge difference).

It's a good start, though. Theres a lot left in that rig. :cool:

Comment

Thanx for reply Soulburner - Yup, this is me just starting :)

I agree totally regarding the CPU temp (New & Better cooling very soon).

And then the drivers :-/ This is a headache, what with NVidia's "performance at the expense of quality" issues? I've heard the 45.23's are performance "enhanced" thingies...

But, speed/performance is what one wants when benchmarking, so I'll upgrade the drivers (I have them both) and then post my scores again for comment.

One more thing: vCore voltage fluctuates from about 1.49v to 1.56v on idle ??? Shouldn't this be more stable?

I'm going to a 400W supply today.

Comment

The board itself is also responsible for regulating the voltages but the PSU is a good thing to have up to par. Don't just buy anything 400w though, what's even more important is if it can deliver the voltage constantly. Meaning it doesn't flux down under load making your system unstable.

Most overclockers will recommend an Antec Truepower of 400w minimum.

Changing drivers for each benchmark can get annoying but it isn't too hard...I tweak it to the max until I know i'm done and can't get any more out of it before I switch drivers and move to a differenct benchmark. I recommend 3DMark03 first because that will help you find your optimal card settings (core/memory clock, AGP Aperture, etc) then use those settings in 3DMark01 to find your best CPU/RAM/MB settings. When they come together you can run Aquamark 3 for your highest score there.

Comment

Good advice, thanx ... The only available brand PS to me is AOpen though, so that's what's coming.

I've been doing some checking at Coolermaster and the Jet7 looks like a goody !!

I see on your sig you're using Kingston HyperX? That's what I'm also looking for now. Maybe available here.

Oh, by the way - FX5900 is cool for sure, but I'm also trying to source a 9800pro from the states. Best price I've got so far is $386-00. No store there will ship to South Africa :(

I've got to try find a connection to put one in the mail. Maybe on to someone who used to live in RSA - just think the Catalyst drivers seem to be doing the "moves" better at the moment.

Will stay in touch .....

Comment

Originally posted by KullPrit
            The only available brand PS to me is AOpen though, so that's what's coming.
            AOpen makes great psu's, one of the best quality brands I've heard.. Even though not the most powerful.. :)

Comment

Thanx Tweaker - A little vote of confidence from experience goes a LONG way to make one feel a bit more comfortable - I have limited resources here ;)

Just a question: If I manually change the clocks of the RAM in the BIOS to 2 - 2 - 2 - 6 from 2,5 - 3 - 3 - 8 will I fry/destroy/crash anything major?

Comment

Haven't heard anything about those PSUs so I can't comment on those, maybe look for some reviews.

About the HyperX, yeah these are running at 223mhz 2-2-2-5 DC @ 2.85v so they're pretty good. I am changing boards so when I get 3.2v to work with they should hit over 240mhz (DDR480). The BH5 chips are also used in other brands like Mushkin, and are the best an overclocker can get.

About the FX, it is decent but I am changing to a 9800 Pro. I have projections as to what it will do...I estimate I can get the same score without even overclocking it.

About the timings, if it doesn't boot, up the RAM voltage. If it still doesn't boot, they won't do it. You can't damage them.

Comment

:cheers: Brilliant, Soulburner, thanx a million - will try the RAM timings soon.

BUT, BUT, BUT check out my new scores(Used your advice and changed to the 45.23 Dets).

FX5900 clocks 450/900
                  CPU @ 3 080 GHz
                  vCore 1.575
                  RAM 2.75v
                  FSB 220 (Can't go higher - Crash and restore)
                  AGP 1.6v

3DMark03 = 6 250 (CPU still only 681 though)
                  Aquamark03 = 42 360 (GFX 4 974 & CPU 8 608)

I am WAYYYYYYYYYY impressed.

:wow:

Comment

** Threads merged **

:D Check out my other thread below and see the results of your advice .... so far!

I will keep u guys posted as I develop.

Whilst you are obviously very happy with the advice given to you by Soulburner & others. It's not necessary to start a new thread in order to thank them, good luck with your overclocking. weta

Comment

Working...
                    X