Need help with A7N8X deluxe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with A7N8X deluxe

I have an ASUS A7N8X deluxe rev 1.04, bios up. 1004, AMD 2800+burton.... 2x512md ram 333.

I would like to start my overclocking leaving fsb at 166 and changing rate: now I am at 12,5x... BUT I cannot increase to 13,5x, 14x ecc.. on the mobo!!????

(I mean that if I select 13,5x (first voice up in bios) my 2800+ go down to 900.... + or -)

What I am doing wrong!!:cry:

PLS HELP!:o

Your processor is not unlocked, and therfore you cannot change the multiplier on your CPU

Comment

Isn't 12.5X multiplier the fastest the A7N8X will go? The CPU is not locked so you don't have anything to worry about there.

Besides, you are better off adjusting the FSB as well as the multiplier to clock this system. Try setting the multiplier to 10 and the FSB to 200. Then try upping the multipler gradually from there. Don't forget to consider upping the Vcore Voltage very slightly as you boost the CPU and watch your temperatures.

You can actually increase the FSB well beyond 200MHz also.....I use 200 because I want it to sync with my 3200 RAM.

Comment

Sorry but my english is not too good...

My processor is NOT locked, right?

Can I go up with multiplier to 13,5 - 14?? or there is a way to be able to do it?

then I can try 10 /200fsb:)

Comment

That's right!

instead of increasing the clock multiplier......lower the clock multiplier to 10. Then change the FSB from 166 to 200.

Reboot your PC into Windows and make sure it runs OK in that setup.

That won't overclock your CPU but it will allow you to start overclocking it by increasing the multiplier.

Comment

THK You Woody... I am going to follow your suggestion....

But I already would like to know if there is a Mainboard that allow higher multiplier than 12,5x ??

AMD 2800+ is (in normal config.) 166x13,5 = +or- 2241 (2226 is for 2800+)... isn't it? So why I cannot set it without overclocking??
            (166x12,5 is for 2400+, isn't it?!)
            I should be able to run my cpu in normal way....
            Is it because of rev1.04 bios 1004 or it is because of the Mainboard?? Should I change it to have higher multiplier??

Comment

Originally posted by Mayo
              AMD 2800+ is (in normal config.) 166x13,5 = +or- 2241 (2226 is for 2800+)... isn't it? So why I cannot set it without overclocking??
              (166x12,5 is for 2400+, isn't it?!)
              I should be able to run my cpu in normal way....
              Is it because of rev1.04 bios 1004 or it is because of the Mainboard?? Should I change it to have higher multiplier??
              I don't think that is the the normal configuration for those CPUs.....I also can't recall what is the highest multiplier you can set on the A7N8X without rebooting into BIOS and playing with it but I think you can set higher if you want.

It's perfectly normal to run the mainboard at 200MHz. The A7N8X is designed to run at that speed and will safely run at higher speeds so don't think there is anything wrong with that. In fact the new Athlon 3200+ runs at that speed.

I run my 2500+ Barton at 200MHz FSB with the multiplier set to 11X and it is very stable at 2200MHz. It's likely that you would find similar success with the 2800+ Barton and can possibly even set it higher.

I was suggesting setting 10X multiplier as a starting point to allow you some flexibility. Your overall system performance is important too and increasing the FSB speed is a good way to improve system performance in addition to boosting the CPU.

As you increase the clock speed of the CPU you can increase the Vcore voltage slightly to maintain stability if you have problems. I only had to increase Vcore on my 2500+ by one click and am running at less than 1.7Volts. Better to keep the Vcore as low as possible without compromising stability to help keep the heat down.

As far as other mainboards go....I think the one you have is an outstanding board.....I have built three systems around that board and have had them since they first came out. As long as the firmware is flashed to at least v1002 I couldn't recommend using any other board.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody_87th
                Isn't 12.5X multiplier the fastest the A7N8X will go? The CPU is not locked so you don't have anything to worry about there.

Besides, you are better off adjusting the FSB as well as the multiplier to clock this system. Try setting the multiplier to 10 and the FSB to 200. Then try upping the multipler gradually from there. Don't forget to consider upping the Vcore Voltage very slightly as you boost the CPU and watch your temperatures.

You can actually increase the FSB well beyond 200MHz also.....I use 200 because I want it to sync with my 3200 RAM.
                nope mine rev 2 can go higher multiplyer with updated bios i think to least 14x or even 15x, i know 14x for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Maxpowers
                  nope mine rev 2 can go higher multiplyer with updated bios i think to least 14x or even 15x, i know 14x for sure
                  Hehe!! cool! talk about haveing the potential for melting stuff!! :cool:

Comment

k!, but listen here:
                    In multiplier I have: 12,5x at "top down" choice, then i go up... till
                    10.... ...8, then i found 7x/15x (???), then 14,5x, 14,0x, 13,5x,may be 13,0x..... at "top high" choice.

When I set 12,5x my Amd is saw as a 2800+ at start un screen, but if I go "up" and put anything beetween 13--14, on start up screen my Amd is saw as a 900.. 1000.. 1100.. mhz (+or-)....
                    WHY???
                    Is there a switch on MBoard to change something or a "voice" under the bios, or whatelse??
                    :steam:

Still many thanks for any help... and sorry for my bad english.. I hope you can understand what I am writing.. if not PLS ask again!!

Comment

Working...
                    X