Help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!!

I have a brand new g-force 4 mx440 in my machine.... the specs are as follows: -

[CPU]: 1-AMD XP, 1666MHz, 256KB (0% Load) .:. [RAM] usage: 198/256MB (77.34%) .:. [GFX]: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440, [Display]: 1280x1024/32bit/75Hz

[OS]: Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 1 (5.1 - 2600), [installed for]: 6w 8h 14m, [uptime]: 11m 25s .:. [HDDs] (showing free space): 33.61G/55.87G(60.2%)

The problem i have is with the graphics card. It sometimes, when i reboot distorts the picture, it goes all black, the text is screwed up blocks appear all over the screen. This happens in DOS too so it can't really be the drivers can it? I have tried the new drivers anyway and once i installed them it decided not to boot up my PC properly. It just turned off the monitor!! I rebooted from there and it came back on fine.

I have an 80mm fan under the PSU blowing air out of the machine and an exhuast fan under the gfx card. I'm wondering if the exhuast fan under the gfx card is drawing away too much air from the fan attached to the gfx card.

At the moment i'm running the PC without the exhaust fan running to see if thats going to make it better?! The CPU is running at 42 degrees and the system is at 34 degrees.

Anyone any idea why it's doing this?!
    Thanks for your time.

If you can turn off the monitor and reboot and then it comes up fine, then I would be thinking of a bad monitor before the video board. Your GF4MX puts out the same signal regardless of whether a monitor is on or not. Look for a tight monitor cable to the vid board and if that is well, then try your monitor on a friend's machine and see if the problem occurs there too.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yip the monitor works fine on other PC's.

Do you think the exchust under the gfx card is effecting it at all?

Comment

drivers? or try a different monitor and see if it does the same thing

Comment

I'm just waiting for it to do it again.

I've told some other people and they said it sounds like the processor on the gfx card is knackered coz someone had the same problem. The monitor is brand new too. This is the 2nd gfx (the same make, model) that i have installed because the other one did the same!! :(

Dodgy batch?

Comment

Working...
          X