Monitor flicker with gf4 mx 440 after driver install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor flicker with gf4 mx 440 after driver install

I have a recently formatted pc. After the format I seem to have a problem with the video card and/or drivers.

I get a hardcore flicker/interference effect on my monitor. This isnt one of those flickers you get with a low refresh rate. This is pretty violent. It often happens when i zoom the mouse across the screen or am moving a window around the desktop. But it will also get choppy when it 'idles.' This never ever happened before the reformat.

I first thought the CRT was dying so i replaced it with my other PCs LCD. Its not the monitor. I tried several different resolutions and refresh rates, to no avail. Which i suppose leaves the video card. I uninstalled all the drivers and the flicker goes away, but browsing and gaming are impossible.

So i looked for an alternative driver. I DLed the omega drivers (1.6693) and once installed it starts to flicker again. I uninstall and the problem goes away.

Ive pretty much exhausted all my ideas so am coming here to see if anyone has any.

Thanks!

Windows XP sp2
    AMD Athlon 1.06mhz - i know :(
    Geforce4 mx440
    ASUS A7M266
    512mb Memory
    17" SyncMaster 763mb (1024x768 75hrz)
    Soundblaster Audigy
    Last edited by Fixxxer; 12-25-2006, 11:00 AM.

Re: Monitor flicker with gf4 mx 440 after driver install

Are all other drivers (chipset, etc) current? Not certain it this will help but it seems to me that the older cards may not be properly supported by the new drivers. It may be worth your while to try a few older driver builds. http://downloads.guru3d.com/download...0&sort=&page=2
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

thanks for the reply

yea, all the drivers are current and the new drivers support this card. I read that the 56.72 drivers worked well with this card, so i DLed them and tried them... but nope.

any other ideas?

Comment

Try the 81.85 drivers (about the last 1 that propperly supports the GF4 line that I've found) but it could be that your card has developed a hardware prob.

Comment

Working...
        X