Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have no Standard Graphics Adaptor Driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no Standard Graphics Adaptor Driver?

I recently installed a new graphics card and was following the install instructions. Part of it tells me to use the "Standard Graphics Adaptor (VGA) Driver" for my graphics card. However, when I go through the Add New Hardware Wizard, I find that it is not listed among the other drivers. In fact, it tells me that I don't have any display adaptors at all.

Where do I get the Standard Graphics Adaptor? I've tried searching Google and the Microsoft Live Update site.

Here are some specs:
    HP Pavilion 515n
    Windows XP Home, SP2

Re: I have no Standard Graphics Adaptor Driver?

you are already using it.

The standard driver is the one windows uses by default. If you can see anything at all on your screen during your windows session, then the video card is using the default drivers.

PEBKAC

Comment

Yes, I can see things. But for whatever reason, I'm apparently not using the right type of adapter driver.

When I try to install my graphic card's drivers, it tells me that it does not detect any graphics adaptor and therefore cannot install the graphic card drivers.

Comment

You are already using the standard VGA driver, I can't say it any more clearly than that.

open the Device Manager and click Display adapters, it will list your card there.

If Windows wasn't detecting your card, your screen would be BLACK.

Comment

The adapter listed is Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. This is NOT the "Standard Graphics Adapter Driver" I was instructed to use. When I autostart my card's install disk, it tell me it does not detect a display adapter. When I try to install the drivers for my graphics card, it tells me they are not compatible with the display adapter I am using.

Comment

"Standard Graphics Adapter Driver" is not the literal name of the driver, it's like saying 'press any key to continue'. There is not literally a key named "any" to press...

The video card you mentioned is the onboard video that came with your system. You must disable this before you can use your new card. You can only disable it in the BIOS, which you can only access when your PC first boots up. It's usually accessed by pressing the Delete key.

Comment

I was starting to suspect that. I had the idea that a universal driver might be out there somewhere, but I guess not.

I went into BIOS and found that my video setting was already set to "PCI." I decided to "reset" it, and when I started Windows, my display went back to the setup I had with my previous card. (I have two monitors, one using the new card, the other using my on-board card.) It recognized both monitors as well as which card went with which.

A little earlier I downloaded firmware from Nvidia, but I didn't think it would work with my card. After poking around on the disk that came with the card, I found that the driver I downloaded was the correct type, and is in fact better than the one that came with the card.

All seems fixed now.

Thank you for the help, tuxfreak. Every time something goes wrong with my computer (or every time I try to add something), I end up having to learn something new. As you have just witnessed, it's not always a joyful ride. Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

Comment

I'm glad you've got it working :-)

I apologize if I sounded unduly harsh. If i had just googled your PC model, I would have realized you had an on-board video card and perhaps saved us both a bit of frustration :-\

Comment

Working...
                X