Win98 vs Win98SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win98 vs Win98SE

Now I am getting all bothered about my OS.... I jsut gave the green light for an Force2 chipset motherboard... did some driver hunting on nVidia's website.... about their current nForce driver they say (and I quote)

"Please note that only Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows Millennium Edition are supported. Earlier versions of Windows are not supported."

from http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_win9x_4.27

what aobut Win98? the differences between win98 and win98SE I though were cosmetic... is there a way to upgrade win98 to 98SE via legal downloads.... I refues to use XP (due to the fact it is the current favroite for viruses to attack, and it is not cheap) and I also think it is criminal to have to pay to go from 98 to 98SE.. any thought would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Re: Win98 vs Win98SE

I can't recall the differences off the top of my hed, but I believe you can upgrade to get all of the same benefits as 98SE by simply using Windows Update.

On a side note, you should certainly use the unofficial 98SE Service Pack 1.5.

Comment

Not all the changes were cosmetic. One of the main updates for the SE package was the formal support for USB. See if the update linked above will give you what you need.

On a side note, even though WinXP is the primary target for script kiddies, it is still far better than Win9x. With a little care and a smidgen of common sense, you can keep your machine infestation free. But it IS still expensive... can't do anything about that.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        On a side note, you should certainly use the unofficial 98SE Service Pack 1.5.
        Well that SP is now up to 1.6.2 but it can only be used on 98SE as several core elements are missing from 98 to get the patch to work.

Comment

Well, I mangaed to install win98 (first edition) onto the nForce system, AGP8X is fine (atleast the video card thinks so) and my one use of USB (a joystick) works... but god it ruined 24 horus of my life... and it was not becuase of the nForce2... my freaking anceint SbLive was a nightmare... I'd install the dirvers, then it would go autodetecting Sb16 emulation... freaking locked the sytem every time... only way to get it to coperate was to phsciacly remove the card, make a mess by deleting by hand the drivers.. put the card back in... oh welll.. it works now (but in the device manager, SB16 emulation is set to disabled) now my new trouble: I don't think the hard drive controller are taking advantage of the fancy speed of the IDE's stuff... I did install the nVidia driever (without sound and LAN, since the motherboard asus A7n8x-x seems to have a non nvidia sound and quasi-non-nvidia LAN) at any rate I think the IDE stuff was under sysBus or Busmaster soething loke that so I made sure that was checked but on the deivce manager:

for Disk drives it says (twice, once for each hard drive I guess) "Generic IDE disk drive' I do have DMA enabled...

and for hard disk controlers it simply says Primary IDE controller, Secondary IDE controller, and standard daul IDE controller... now in all these detials of all these netries there is nomention of nvidia... so are the better ide drivers runing or not? and also how do i get them to go? this operatiing system is only win98 not win98SE...

Best Regards

Comment

Working...
          X