Motherboard drivers update help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard drivers update help

I know very little on this subject and I want to update them my motherboard drivers. I saw this idea mentioned in another topic about someone who wanted to up their AGP speed and get around smartgart. They might have been talking about BIOS updates, not sure, but anyway...

Does anyone know how I can find out what model this motherboard is and then where/how to get the drivers updated? Any help is appreciated, and feel free to talk to me on AIM about it. Thanks :)

Note: maybe after I find the model someone can tell me if it's even AGP 8x compatible anyway? :-\

I think this page can certainly get you started in the right direction;
    Download Your BIOS Update and identify your computer. Includes Phoenix, Award and AMI BIOS. Get help at BIOS FAQ and Forum.

Also, a good link to a utility which may help is also there - BIOS Agent.
    Be advised, this utility is provided as part of esupport's for profit business plan. I only reccomend it as an easy way to obtain your BIOS ID string which is the best method of determining which motherboard you have.

esupport will indeed provide you with a BIOS upgrade if available.
    You just need to use the ID string along with the information available at http://www.wimsbios.com/ to determine what your motherboard is, then do the homework yourself and save some $'s.

Personally, I've never done business with esupport so I have nothing good or bad to say about them. I simply use the utility they provide to aid me so that I can get the upgrades on my own. Most manufacturers offer them for free.

I'm not sure if you have an OEM system, but I'm assuming you do? In which case the BIOS ID string may not be available to you at boot.

In case you can readily see the information when booting;
    As the computer boots and you get to the screen where your memory is counting up, drives are being detected, etc. etc. - hit the "Pause" key and write down the string of letters and numbers which appear at the bottom left of the screen.

Use that string at http://www.wimsbios.com/ and determine if possible the information you need. ie. what motherboard is it exactly.

Have fun!
    The site I've linked you to 3 times now can guide you through the entire process.

EDIT: Additionally I should add;
    If this is an OEM system, check the manufacturer's web site to see if any updates are available there for your particular model
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Hm, well this might be a problem. It seems BIOS Agent can't tell what the string is.

:(

What to do now?

Comment

Can you see the screen I spoke of during the boot process?

If not, what is the make and model of your PC?
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Nevermind, I got in contact with a friend of a friend and got through everything :thumb: ... but thank you anyway :-\

Comment

Working...
          X