agp speed problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agp speed problem

Well i joined to see if any1 here can help me with my problem. i just downloaded the new 1.10 catalysts for my ati radeon 9700 pro and for some reason it doesnt recongize any apg speed. I tried setting it to 1x 2x and 4x agp speed it every time i restart my comp for the settings to take effect it just sets it back to the off position in smartguard.

I also went into my bios and changed it so instead of saying boot graphic card from pci it boots from agp/onboard graphics card.

This problem only seems to happen with the pre 3.10 hotfix and the official 3.10 catalyst drivers. And i need to use one of these drivers so call of duty will not lock up. Any suggestions on how to get it to detect the agp speed without buying anything new? I also tried reformatting comp and it had no effect, im currently using windows xp home ed.

Is it running at a slower speed then what your Motherboards max is. If its still running in 8x then it shouldnt matter. If its running 4x and thats all your mobo can handle then ya still dont have a problem. Other than that im not familar enough with catalyst, so you'll have to wait for the ATI wiser to respond.

Comment

the problem is i cant even get it to 1x agp speed, it always stays at off no matter what i do to it.

Comment

Uninstall the drivers, restart, install new drivers, restart, and see if that works.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

uhhh alrdy done that, if u read my post it said that i even reformatted my whole harddrive.

Comment

steve-0o0, what mobo do you have? Make sure your apg is set correctly in the BIOS (make sure it is set to use 8x)

Comment

Im not sure if its right but SiSoftware Sandra says the model name of my motherboard is

Micro-Star International Co Ltd (MSI) 82845G/GL/GV Brookdale Host-Hub Interface Bridge (A1-step)

and the answer to your other question is there is nowhere in my bios to set the agp speed so it would be impossible.

Comment

oh.Sorry about that. :cheers:
                CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
                Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
                RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
                GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
                PSU: Thermaltake 500w
                SC: Audigy 2 zs
                LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
                Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
                Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

so what exactly should i do? should i keep using a old driver until ati every releases a new driver?

Comment

So your AGP card is not working at all?

Comment

Seein' as both video and mobo should be workin' at 4x AGP rates I'd suggest tryin' Rivatuner (get it from www.guru3d.com) as that should force the maximum rate.

Comment

sorry none of this stuff ur saying is working ive tried almost everything i can think of, that program doesnt make it work

Comment

Well, I did a bit of research for you Steve, and although I can't figure out exactly what model of MSI mobo you have (The model and revision number will be somewhere inbetween the PCI slots) I downloaded the manual for the 845PE Max, one of several MSI boards using the Intel 845 chipset. This manual states that there IS a setting for AGP speed, and also notes that if the DDR/AGP voltages aren't set right, it could cause stability issues. Rather than reprinting it all here, I'd recommend that you download the manual yourself directly from MSI for the specific model. You may also want to try their FAQs as someone else may have had the same issue. Good luck with it, and Merry Christmas! :thumb: :cheers: : peace2:

Comment

Re: agp speed problem

I had a similar problem, but I managed to resolve it by reinstalling my intel chipset drivers corresponding to my motherboard, from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Don't ask me why this works... I'm assuming that during the Catalyst installation one of the chipset drivers is overrided or replaced. Try this before trying to tweak your BIOS settings for frequency and voltage. Also note that if you do this, you are negating the Catalyst Smartgart which protects you from system lock ups and freezes. I am sure, however, that the lockups are a result of temperature inside the case, in which you may add a fan or a GPU heatsink and be fine.

Hope this solves your problem.

Comment

Re: agp speed problem

Ummm, thanks for the info, but you may want to try reading how old tis thread is...
                              Most of the members above dont even visit this forum anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X