New ATI Catalyst Drivers! Version 3.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ATI Catalyst Drivers! Version 3.10

Just downloaded...haven't seen any noticable improvements, though I'm sure there are some performance increases in there. I just wish that ATi would configure their drivers to run better with specific games that are popular at the moment, like nVidia does.

Well, at least I can dream.

Comment

yall don't need to worry about keeping us informed of ATi's driver releases, Weta's got it taken care of ;)

this one seems a little lost too, let me just move it right over here...
      ahh, that's better :)

Comment

Originally posted by SearanoX
        I just wish that ATi would configure their drivers to run better with specific games that are popular at the moment, like nVidia does.
        Uh, Nvidia doesn't configure their drivers just to run better, they actually cut graphical corners and use dodgy methods to make games run at higher fps. The main reason is the FX architecture can't run DX9 functions at full precision, so much of the "optimizations" involve reducing image quality to get better performance. Also, Nvidia "optimize" their drivers to run faster on fixed benchmarks like 3DMark03 and UT2003 benchmarks, but when custom benchmarks are used, even in the same game, the results are lower.

I for one prefer the ATI approach: they provide full DX9 functionality and precision, and the best image quality. If you want to reduce image quality to gain FPS, the choice is then up to you to use the ATI Control Panel and in-game settings to lower them. But it isn't forced upon you like Nvidia does. Some of us have the hardware to run games at max image quality with decent FPS and don't like a graphics company reducing image quality for us without our say so.

/END OF RANT :)
        My Machine

Comment

Working...
        X