Drivers in a set order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers in a set order?

Just wondering, I heard somewhere once that it does make a difference if you install drivers in a set order and the VIA drivers last. Is this true?

Also, are VIA drivers necessary?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU 2 x Kingston Hyper 2 GB Kit memory 1066MHz MSI P35 Platinum Combo Mobo Razer Barracuda AC-1 Digital Audio Card XFX PCIe 8800GTX xXx Video card Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU Samsung 320GB IDE HD for OS WD 250GB SataII HD 2 x WD 500GB SATAII HD Compro T750 HDTV Dual Tuner PCI Card Thermaltake Bigwater 745 water cooling Samsung 226BW 22" monitor Samsung Syncmaster 913 19" monitor Silverstone , Thermaltake Armour+ Case

Nah. Doesn't matter what order you install them in generally.

If you have a via chipset, then yes it would be a good idea to install the via chipset drivers :)

Comment

I'd say that it depends on the operating system.

Win9x - Load motherboard drivers right after the OS, especially if you have a modern motherboard. The older operating systems do not have the ability to communicate properly with these newer chipsets, so the early installation of the drivers for this type motherboard makes certain that everything runs as smoothly as possible.

WinXP - While WinXP does a pretty fair job of communicating with modern hardware, motherboard drivers will help you keep everything running as it should. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that both VIA and nVidia recommend you install the OS, then the SP1 service pack, and then the motherboard drivers. This allows XP to get USB 2.0 working properly before updating the motherboard chipset drivers.

As far as other drivers go, with WinXP it makes no difference. With Win9x based setups, I always had the best luck with OS, motherboard, video, sound, DirectX, anything else.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Thanks for that, I do it in that order so that's cool
        Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 CPU 2 x Kingston Hyper 2 GB Kit memory 1066MHz MSI P35 Platinum Combo Mobo Razer Barracuda AC-1 Digital Audio Card XFX PCIe 8800GTX xXx Video card Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU Samsung 320GB IDE HD for OS WD 250GB SataII HD 2 x WD 500GB SATAII HD Compro T750 HDTV Dual Tuner PCI Card Thermaltake Bigwater 745 water cooling Samsung 226BW 22" monitor Samsung Syncmaster 913 19" monitor Silverstone , Thermaltake Armour+ Case

Comment

Working...
        X