cd burner problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cd burner problems

I have an older cd burner (philips) and I'm having problems with it. The tray won't open and it does not respond to the tray open button. my question is can this be due to driver problems? the kids put a cd in it and I can't get it opened. I finally opened the case and unhooked it, because every time it boots it tries to read it and it was causing problems. If anyone has any imput on this please get back to me. Thanks

with CDRW being so cheap, i say upgrade

Comment

most probably the CD-burner is set as slave. my CD-ROM drive has this problem too. if you keep a CD in it at boot-time it won't be recognised by windows (thats what happens with me). i know my CD-ROM drive is old but don't want to upgrade it right now
      make a point of not leaving a CD in it at the time of shutdown. to get the CD out, restart the PC and press the open button at the time of POST (power on self test) or at the time when it is shutting down. its a very small time that you will get to have the CD out.
      another way to do it is press F9 at boot-up. it will show you the bootloader menu (the devices). get the CD out and close the tray and you should be done.

though i think its high time i follow kane2g's advice.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

There is always the needle in the hole above the volume control
        trick............no power needed.......and it works every time
        Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

I had a customer with that problem. He put a 700mb cdrw in his older Yamaha burner and it totally crashed the system everytime. So i tried the burner in other machines, same problem. I used the pin trick to get it out. And the disc reads and writes fine in any other drive, so i saved the data onto a cdr for him and confiscated the cdrw(for his own good).
          Rebooting after the crash would work sometimes, but the drive was missing every time (no letter anymore). No computer i tried could recognize the drive with that disc in it.
          Best i can figure is the drive was made well before 700mb cdrw was. like 1998 when they cost $400cdn
          Nothing wrong with the drive , it works fine. And i still use the disc.

What a neat little 2cm fan in the back of the drive, the only one i have ever seen with a fan.
          athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
          tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
          asus a7n8xe-dlx
          thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
          bfg 6800gt
          seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
          samsung dvdrw
          2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
          logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
          2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
          creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
          mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
          DFI infinity nf4 ultra
          thermaltake tsunami dream -black
          seagate sataII 500gb
          evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
          samsung sata dvd-rw
          2x1024 ocz black
          logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
          ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

well, i got me a BTE 52x24x52x like a month ago and when i first installed it, it worked fine, i burned a few cds and it still worked fine. but now its sometimes recognized by device manager but it doesn't appear on my computer nor i can use it with any burning software. i think i changed the jumper settings(don't know why) but i think its that .....i still got those small pins for both drives(a cd-rom and the burner) so where do i put'em?, i want the cd-rom to be master and burner to be slave and both got 6 pins( 3 by 2 or 2 by 3 or ::: )

Comment

There should be a key map on the drives, it will look something like this :::.
              The single pin is for orientation.
              It should be on a sticker or cast in the plastic or stamped in the metal.
              athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
              tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
              asus a7n8xe-dlx
              thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
              bfg 6800gt
              seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
              samsung dvdrw
              2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
              logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
              2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
              creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
              mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
              DFI infinity nf4 ultra
              thermaltake tsunami dream -black
              seagate sataII 500gb
              evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
              samsung sata dvd-rw
              2x1024 ocz black
              logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
              ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

yes, as maximus 7001 stated it is normally on the drive itself
                sometimes it is only designated as;
                M for master
                S for slave
                CS for cable select

Be advised, some CD-R/CD-RW drives do not contend well being a slave on the IDE channel and may not operate/be recognized with 100% accuracy and efficiency.

If the slave setting just doesn't cut it, switch it back to master on the IDE channel.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

thx for the help, i fixed the prob i was havin with my burner. the burner didn't like 2 be a slave so i just put it as master, i also had a wrong pin.

Comment

Very few CDRW's are happy at all in the slave position. Burning requires the CDRW to have full control of the IDE channel which it can't do in Slave mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                      Very few CDRW's are happy at all in the slave position. Burning requires the CDRW to have full control of the IDE channel which it can't do in Slave mode.
                      My CDRW is on slave and just recently I've been getting problems when using nero.
                      These came up in the event log:
                      8:11:49 PM HP CD-Writer+9100
                      Invalid write state
                      Could not perform EndTrack
                      SCSI Target error
                      Could not perform Fixation
                      Burn process failed at 4x (600 KB/s)

Would this be software related or hardware? And would the slave position be the problem, but I also have had the CDRW in slave in the past and have had no problems up till now.
                      I haven't tried any other programs yet, but I will later tonight.

Comment

I will not install any burner in the slave just to avoid those sort errors. It must be the Master.

Comment

Does it matter where the device is on the IDE cable? for example master closet to mobo. I always wanted to find out this question, or is it irrelevant where it is?:wow:

Comment

Masters should be at the end of the cable and slaves in the middle.

Comment

Oooooh, had it other way around all that time :eek:, thanks Wiggo :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X