Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will it get too hot??

:afro:

i have a 900mhz AMD Athlon that runs at 48C-51C cpu temp under stress. Should i consider getting a better source of cooling before i overclock? thanks

Yes

Comment

i was considering a volcano 6cu+ as an upgrade, would this give me sufficient cooling? or would the volcano 7 be the best bet? (im on a very small budget)

Comment

I have the same CPU, and when i ran with the Stock AMD HS(i have an Evercool all copper one right now) at 4800 RPM i had 33 idle 35.7 C load temps. I got these temps by using Arctic Silver 3. So if your doing a small over clock like ading 7 MHz to the FSB, then just buy some AS3. i used to be running at those temps u said, i think just .5 C under. So you dont really need to get a new HS unit. I got t a great price on it from here
        <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

would it be better to use a shim?:cheers:

Comment

I think they help with the heatsink contacting b33te12

Comment

Getting a Volcano 7+ is definitely a good idea, and AS3 will help ur temps a lot too. Good luck on the OC :cheers:

Comment

Shims dont do that great of a job to transfer the heat. There main purpose is to make sure the core of the CPU does not crack while putting that stubborn heatsink on and off. Like I said, they dont cut the heat that good becuase they dont actually touch the core of the CPU, where the heat is. U will notice that they are really skimpy also, and barley cover the CPU, maybe about only half, and not in the critical parts. So if your worried about heat, your best bet is to take those 5 dollars you will save and throw it in to ur volcano stach to get something maybe a little bit better, like a Tornado fan. But if ur worried about cracking the core by taking the HS on and off, get one. I have taking my HS on and off about 7 times, and i havenot cracked the core. I bought a new HS today, which is a lot cheaper then the Volcano and is all copper and is running me at 35.5 C right after the install (standard clock), and once the AS3 settles in, it will drop even more i hope. You can find it here
                <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

ya i just purchased exactly the same heatsink for 12 bucks on ebay. Lucky me

Comment

Working...
                  X