placement of thermal probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• placement of thermal probe

All my computer parts are finally in and I get to put it together tonight. I got a gigabyte 845 pe chipset board with a 2.4 gHz processor in a thermal take Xaser II case......it comes with a thermal probe and readout on the front. Was wondering what you guys opinion was as to where i should put the thermal probe. I havent heard any problems reading temps from the bios on the P4's or on this motherboard so should i just leave in hanging in the case to read the case temp or somewhere else?
    Let me know what you guys think!!!!

MIke

I would put it on the processor or the hard drive. :devil:

Comment

i wud not put it on the hard drive the hard drives are normally alright heat they seem to stay cool without too much problem if i were you i would put it on the on the proccessor. because if you overclock them they get messed up then it screws the board so the best place is on the proccessor

Comment

If i wanted to put it on the processor would i put it on inbetween the cpu and heatsink? Wouldnt this mess up the heat conductivity of the thermal paste? The artic silver instructions make it clear that anything inbetween the heatsink and cpu will make it less effective.......including skin cells or oils.

Comment

Try placeing the probe right next to the cpu touching the side and under the heat sink. then you'll get the reading of the cpu heat without dissrupting heat transfer.:devil:

Comment

Originally posted by mdgosch
            If i wanted to put it on the processor would i put it on inbetween the cpu and heatsink? Wouldnt this mess up the heat conductivity of the thermal paste? The artic silver instructions make it clear that anything inbetween the heatsink and cpu will make it less effective.......including skin cells or oils.
            How did you decide to do it? I bought a fan controller and want to use the probe to keep an eye on the temp but am not sure the best way to place it. How many degrees off will it be if mounted next to the cpu?

Comment

Your best bet is as close to the CPU die as possible. You dont want it between the die and heatsink, but touching the die on the side is a great location. It may be a few degrees higher or lower than your mobo readout (which is usually located right underneath the socket) But you just have to learn what your normal temp is.

Comment

Originally posted by tommybowler
                i wud not put it on the hard drive the hard drives are normally alright heat they seem to stay cool without too much problem
                i wouldnt be so sure. the older IBM hard-drives overheated quite easily. and my WD 80gb/8mb got into the mid/high 30's, which is a tad hottish i think. (case temp of under 20c).

Comment

How do you turn on the temp display does it turn on at certain temp, i have not run mine to cpu yet, but dont have temp readout. I Just got same case as mdgosch

Comment

Originally posted by flickflum
                    How do you turn on the temp display does it turn on at certain temp, i have not run mine to cpu yet, but dont have temp readout. I Just got same case as mdgosch
                    If the thermometer came with a battery inside, you'll want to take it out and remove the small piece of paper beneath it and put the battery back in.

Comment

Nope checked that , i will assume dead batt and get another one. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mdgosch
                        Was wondering what you guys opinion was as to where i should put the thermal probe. ...should i just leave in hanging in the case to read the case temp or somewhere else?
                        Let me know what you guys think!!!!

MIke
                        I think you should do something creative with it...like, run the leads longer and out of the case and tape the probe to your forhead. Then, play an intense game and see if your temp goes up! :rofl:
                        (You may not want to use the probe internally, for err....sanitary and safety reasons)
                        Or: Use it to check the present temp of your beverage of choice (Hmmmm....coffee is a bit cold, BRB)
                        Or: An even longer lead and a probe to check the internal temp and see if that Christmas turkey is done.
                        Ghetto weatherstation: Run the lead outside the window to see if it's too cold and you can justify staying in and playing games!
                        Or: Run it to the bathtub and see if that water is just right.
                        Ghetto burglar alarm: Run it to the fridge. If the temp goes up, you know someone is stealing your beer...
                        Lie detector: Run it to a chair and have someone sit in it while you ask them embarrassingly personal questions about themselves. Temp goes up...BZZZZT! Wrong answer, try again pal. I already know you stole my beer.
                        :rofl: :rofl: :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                        X