volcano 7+/6+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• volcano 7+/6+?

a friend of mine is going to buy a Volcano 7+ for me from UK, since its not available here. although the volcano 6+ is available for half the price (~11 USD) ... then again moneys not the problem ... should i tell him to buy it and then wait for 4 and a half weeks to get it or should i buy the 6+. also how important is arctic silver? i mean i currently have the heatsink amd supplied without any thermal paste. ofcourse my temps are around 65C. needless to say arctic silver isnt available here, so ill have to tell him to get it.
    will not putting paste be all that bad if im planning to oc?
    thanks.

athlon XP2000+
    gigabyte ga-7vrxp

wow, I've never heard of anyone not (knowingly) using thermal paste--if you have it, use it, and that alone should lower your temps a little.

arctic silver does in fact transfer heat much better than run-of-the-mill thermal paste. using it should lower your temps as well.

i'll let other ppl here refer you to reviews for the 6 and the 7+, but I know for a fact that the 7+ is much better. I had the 6cu for a while on an old system of mine, and replacing it with the 7+ lowered my temps dramatically...I think it was 4 or 5 degrees (?)

The 7+ has an ALL copper heatsink with a 70mm fan and pushes 49cfm, and the 6cu has only a copper slug with only pushes 38 cfm.

I'd go with the 7+ --it's a favorite around here. I don't know about what you want to do in the meantime though...

Comment

You can find reviews (plenty of 'em) for the 7+ by just simply searching google (for the lazy types: http://www.google.com/search?q=volcano7%2B+review :))

I'd recommend the 7+ as well... I use it for my P4, and it (someone might smack me who thinks otherwise but i'll take that chance), cools better than the Alpha PAL8942 did for me... There's just one thing I don't like about the 7+, and that's the annoying little fan speed switch... it'd be nice if it was mounted somewhere (eg., on a backplate) or something... Right now got mine mounted using twist ties :) That and having to thread the holes on the heatsink are my only two beefs with it (minor :)) I can't say much about the 6+, but i'd say go with the 7+

Comment

I most certainly recommend the 7+ as it's on all my Athlons and P4. Oh and that 6cu+ absolutely screams but does little else very well (it's basically a retail sink with a 7K Y.S.Tech 60mm fan on it). ;)
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

suicide, I mounted mine on a backplate where an extra serial port was...

(it didn't fit perfectly, but one screw was enough to keep it in place)

Comment

Some cases also have I/O pushouts which I use where they're available though my Server and Thunder have them fitted to the front bay covers. ;)

Comment

got a picture of it, wiggo?

Comment

Check thre "Thunder" link in my sig as there's a pic there though the Server was a better job. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Malabooboo
                  suicide, I mounted mine on a backplate where an extra serial port was...

(it didn't fit perfectly, but one screw was enough to keep it in place)
                  Danke, I must hunt around the shop for an old backplate (shouldn't be hard heh) and give this a try :) Many thanks.

Comment

My Volcano 7+ control is mounted in an unused serial port pushout. VERY minor filing (small round metal file) was needed to get BOTH screws in....works great for me

Comment

Working...
                    X