Help CPU running hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help CPU running hot

I have just done the pencil trick to my AMD Athlon 1.0ghz. Before my cpu temp use to be about 40C now it is 53C even without overclocking. Can shorting the L1 pins increase the temperature or is it just that my heatsink isn't seated as well as before? (I did clean the cpu and heatsink before putting on a new thermal pad)

When I do overclock the cpu it runs at 65C which is too hot isn't it?

My cooler is a coolmaster copper pipe heatsink which is probably 2-3 years old now. Should I just buy a new one such as the TT Volcano 9 and some paste?

Yes, it is likely that the heatsink may not be mounted correctly. Not only can this cause a drastic change in the temperatures, but it can also fry the processor if it is too far out of whack.

But before remounting, I would highly recommend dumping the thermal tape; especially since you have immediate plans of overclocking in the future. Tape is nothing more than a means for manufacturers to keep support to a minimum. Bottom line; it sucks!

Get hold of something decent. Arctic Silver is the industry leader in this area, but there are a couple of other noteworthy products that I wouldn't have a problem with using (Nanotherm and TherMagic come instantly to mind). Clean off the old grunge from the processor sore and use something worthwhile. You'll be far better off in the long run.

As to the cooler, while it may work all right with a stock setting T-Bird, you'll find that you'll need something with a bit more meat when it comes to stressing out the speeds. A lot of folks around here will live and die for the Volcano 7+, and for good reason. It works! It also has an adjustable speed setting for the fan that allows you to determine how fast (and also HOW LOUD) you want the cooler to be. High overclocked speeds will warrant a faster speed of the fan to give you the best cooling.

Oh, and in answer to the original question, the temperatures will not be affected by the connection of the L1 bridges.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Is the Volcano 7+ better than the Volcano 9 then?

Comment

Yes the 7+ is better than the 9. ;)

Also so see if the temps come down if ya open the case up. :?:

Comment

Working...
        X